Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: [Region 1][Map 25] - The Witchlight Strand

I like everything about this map except...except the sea. I guess I don't know what the texture is trying to be. I suggest just using the same texture as the land but perhaps a little darker? dunno.

Blog Entries

A nice map with great style. I will have to update the thumb map with the new style version soon. Well done.

Can someone help me out with the scale? I've seen several numbers floating around, and I'm not sure which to use.

I want to map the Hammerfall region, but I don't know how big it really is. If the entire map is roughly 600 miles square, then I'm thinking it's about 20 (or so) miles at it's farthest points (the "nose" of the hammer to the "claw" end). Is that about right, or is the map smaller than that?
    Last edited by industrygothica; 07-07-2008 at 01:26 AM.

According to a reliable source:

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate
    Then I did an image with the original blocks overlaid on top. It was instructive (I recall that it's been discussed before in a general way). The blocks are about 435 miles high. The bottom of blocks on the bottom row are about 370 miles wide. The tops of blocks in the top row are about 190 miles wide. The original estimate of 600x600 miles per block was way off assuming an Earth-sized world.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

Well I have made a few compass roses to see what you think... let me know if any of them work for you. I can make just about anything but I need an idea to work from... for now I used the "scar" as a center piece and also tried a sword.

They are PS brushes as normal...
    compass3.zip

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pack3.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	5007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pack3a.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	385.9 KB 
ID:	5008

-Chris
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Quote Originally Posted by rpgmapmaker View Post
    Well I have made a few compass roses to see what you think... let me know if any of them work for you. I can make just about anything but I need an idea to work from... for now I used the "scar" as a center piece and also tried a sword.

They are PS brushes as normal...
    compass3.zip

Name:	pack3.png 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	5007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pack3a.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	385.9 KB 
ID:	5008

-Chris
    I think they look great. As for ideas, what about something wispy and ethereal to symbolize the Witchlights, since that's what the area's named for?

I will see what I can come up with I had thought about making it some sort of lighthouse but I think bands of smoke and lights will be better. The only thing I worry about is making it understandable as a compass and still make it "ethereal". I will not know until I can try it out tonight with my beloved Photoshop... I will post the test(s) soon after.

I was wondering about the legend behind the Witchlights… seems like the ones behind the lights are Witches not to be taken lightly… and also I was wandering if a witches hat and "warted" nose comming out of the ethereal lights might make fine points on the compass rose… hummm...

-Chris
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Well, I came up with one that I like although it is not very ethereal... I will let you be the judge while I do some more tests with the ethereal cloud type compass. I made it a brush as always.

witch_compass1.zip

Name:	witch1.png 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	5036

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rpgmapmaker View Post
    I will see what I can come up with I had thought about making it some sort of lighthouse but I think bands of smoke and lights will be better. The only thing I worry about is making it understandable as a compass and still make it "ethereal". I will not know until I can try it out tonight with my beloved Photoshop... I will post the test(s) soon after.

I was wondering about the legend behind the Witchlights… seems like the ones behind the lights are Witches not to be taken lightly… and also I was wandering if a witches hat and "warted" nose comming out of the ethereal lights might make fine points on the compass rose… hummm...

-Chris
    I think the Witchlights are probably more of a natural occurrence rather than a magical one, really; I never considered putting witches in it at all to be honest. I guess any area that could see them would have their own interpretation as to what causes them though - so a witch may be appropriate for a particular aspect of a legend.

Since the lights can be seen from the sea as well, I'd think many tales would get started that way, and other cultures in the area might have some sort of superstitions--or even celebrations--of the occurrence.

Regardless, I like the witchy-rose.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112