Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: La Marche de Tarrgein - Commission

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

Map La Marche de Tarrgein - Commission

Been a long time, my friends, but I love the community as much as my first visit here.

I've graduated now and I have a great position as an archivist for a regional county municipality here in Quebec. It's a county like unit of government at the supralocal level. I manage archives and records for the RCM as well as a few towns around. I love my job! I bought my first house last year and we are now trying for a baby : things are doing great!

That also means I've had to put my creative side on pause for some time.

I was so excited, back in march, when I received a message from my old friend, who already commissioned a map two years ago (Vastania) for an online DND campaign while on COVID quarantine.

I have worked for about three and a half months on this. I work full time, but I would get back home and work at least an hour / hour and a half each night. I have over 200hrs on this project. It is my biggest so far (28''x 22''). I have ordered a poster copy, but also a playmat version with a hex grid. He is going to put it on his table to play his campaign with his team.

My friend wanted to try a new DnD style (or, rather, not new), as he wanted to try the old school DnD. This is why he requested a black and white map and insisted on the hatching shading. I had total liberty of the "dungeons" positioning, as long as it was rather far away from the principal outpost. He wanted Tarrgein to be wild and free from political borders, roads, etc. There are a couple outposts here and there, but it is mostly a wild and unexplored country.

This project made me realize how important creativity is in my life. As much as I love my job, I need to take the time to do something creative once in a while.

I am so thrilled to share my baby with you today. I know it's not perfect, I know it's not as incredibly marvelous as some of the maps displayed here, but it is my biggest project so far and I remain truly proud of it. I do hope you will like it and, as always, all comments are appreciated.

Take care my friends, and I hope life brings you kindness and beautiful moments <3

Janie (Mimine)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tarrgein_low.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	8.36 MB 
ID:	135934
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

This is an excellent map, I'm not surprised that you spent over 200 hours on it. I really like all the location icons and the border detail.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimine View Post
    Been a long time, my friends, but I love the community as much as my first visit here.

I've graduated now and I have a great position as an archivist for a regional county municipality here in Quebec. It's a county like unit of government at the supralocal level. I manage archives and records for the RCM as well as a few towns around. I love my job! I bought my first house last year and we are now trying for a baby : things are doing great!

That also means I've had to put my creative side on pause for some time.

I was so excited, back in march, when I received a message from my old friend, who already commissioned a map two years ago (Vastania) for an online DND campaign while on COVID quarantine.

I have worked for about three and a half months on this. I work full time, but I would get back home and work at least an hour / hour and a half each night. I have over 200hrs on this project. It is my biggest so far (28''x 22''). I have ordered a poster copy, but also a playmat version with a hex grid. He is going to put it on his table to play his campaign with his team.

My friend wanted to try a new DnD style (or, rather, not new), as he wanted to try the old school DnD. This is why he requested a black and white map and insisted on the hatching shading. I had total liberty of the "dungeons" positioning, as long as it was rather far away from the principal outpost. He wanted Tarrgein to be wild and free from political borders, roads, etc. There are a couple outposts here and there, but it is mostly a wild and unexplored country.

This project made me realize how important creativity is in my life. As much as I love my job, I need to take the time to do something creative once in a while.

I am so thrilled to share my baby with you today. I know it's not perfect, I know it's not as incredibly marvelous as some of the maps displayed here, but it is my biggest project so far and I remain truly proud of it. I do hope you will like it and, as always, all comments are appreciated.

Take care my friends, and I hope life brings you kindness and beautiful moments <3

Janie (Mimine)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tarrgein_low.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	8.36 MB 
ID:	135934
    Really beautiful! I very much admire your linework.

Default I love it!

That map reminds me of High School in the library, playing AD&D with my friends. It is excellent, in my opinion.

I love how detailed your map is. And I'm glad for the progress in your life. Congratulations for the house and job. May it be filled with good and precious memories.
    Last edited by KaiAeon; 07-01-2023 at 03:05 AM.
    View my website and Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by wminish View Post
    This is an excellent map, I'm not surprised that you spent over 200 hours on it. I really like all the location icons and the border detail.
    Thank you! I always fail to record the time I spend working on a map. I am usally so excited in the beginning that it completely escapes my thoughts!
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    Really beautiful! I very much admire your linework.
    Thank you! This was a bit of a challenge for me, as I really enjoy drawing map borders / shores. This was mainly an inland map and I was worries that I could not make it come together properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Faeriemage View Post
    That map reminds me of High School in the library, playing AD&D with my friends. It is excellent, in my opinion.
    Thank you! That is exactly the kind of essence we wanted the map to have.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiAeon View Post
    I love how detailed your map is. And I'm glad for the progress in your life. Congratulations for the house and job. May it be filled with good and precious memories.
    I appreciate that <3

This looks amazing! It's so cool to see how far your linework has come in the past few years, you've really improved a huge amount - and it was already not bad when you first started posting here! Great stuff, and so much detail to find. I'm sure a poster will definitely do the piece justice. Not really anything more constructive to say here, this is stellar work. Love the illustrations for key locations too. Congrats on finishing this beast!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast