Thread: Grounded Airship

Guild Novice

Help Grounded Airship

Hi I created this for a rpg adventure. Its a grounded airship that was brought down by a Gremlin commando operation. I am still searching for a way to paint the deflated balloon that is lying next to the ship. Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schiff.jpg 
Views:	3010 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	45265

That looks really nice. The style reminds me of other maps I have seen before. As for the balloon I would say... sorta... just draw it but I don't think that would help. You could go for that slightly stitched-together patchwork leather style perhaps.

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

I would say to look up images of deflated balloons, and see if you can get something you can copy from. Maybe make a texture for the folds, something like that.

Grab yourself the biggest balloon you can find at the store, you probably can get a whole bag of them for pretty cheap. Then blow one up until it's about to explode and leave it for a day then let the air out and position it on the ground about how you imagine it would look. That might give you something to work with.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

No idea but I recalled that CG textures have loads of cloth textures to reference:

http://www.cgtextures.com/textures.php?t=browse&q=27505

Nice boat, good layout. I always like seeing items I've made show up in maps. interesting alternative uses, using a chest lid as a hatch cover works well.

2 suggestions, a couple of chests look way out of focus or much lower resolution than everything else and the hand drawn black and white elements don't fit with everything else.

Try these: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoodenStairs1_cis.png 
Views:	453 
Size:	1,019.6 KB 
ID:	45276Name:  Stairs_wooden_1_SHC.png
Views: 2574
Size:  26.1 KBName:  Door-Wood6a_fb_bg.png
Views: 2773
Size:  14.4 KBName:  Door-Wood-Iron3_bg.png
Views: 2333
Size:  12.8 KBName:  Door_Tower3_FB_bg.png
Views: 2538
Size:  13.9 KB

Guild Novice

Many good advices here, I am glad I put this online. I hope I find the time to incorporate all the ideas soon!

Drawing something is not an option Larb since I do not know how to hold a pen correctly. The stitched leather idea might come in handy though...

Seraph, I never ever would have thought that there is a big collection of deflated baloons on the internet. But google proofed me wrong! I hope I can find something right now otherwise I will use Jaxilons advice- I bought a bag baloons for the kid last week anyway and they come in different forms too. Inflating one right now, just in case...

That cgtextures website is epic! Since I am quite new to the mapping and graphic business its always good to get ideas for new ressources.

Bogie, thank you for the pieces! I was going to look for alternative ladders and doors. At first I really wanted to set them off for easy viewing but you are right, they just dont fit in there. Spared me the search. Oh, and thank you for all the tiles your created so far.

edit.. now with balloon and new doors/stairs

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	250 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	45283
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	369 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	45281  
    Last edited by IdiotDogBrain; 05-30-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

I like the modified image and I like how the texture on the balloon came out. But I think the placement is off. If the ship came down softly the air bag should be off to the side as the crew pushes it away from the craft. If the ship came down hard then the air bag would be at least partially on top of the upper deck and draped over the side. But I do not see a simple way for the shop to actually be on top of the collapsed air bag.

I would love to see this in a side view also, picturing it leaning to starboard and all the decks tilted and things piled up against the walls.

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

I like the new version. Some elements are still out of focus though. Overall a great map.

Guild Novice

I tried to have the balloon at last half on the upper deck- because the ship came down hard... Unfortunately I misarranged the decks to do this properly. In order to achieve it the upper deck would need to be on the left side.

Arranging all equipment on one side of the ship (and playing with the shadows a bit) is a great idea. I definately will redo this map as soon as I find time to create a final version. I wil also put more care on the focus of stuff on the ship. I seem to have some very differently sized brushes in my collection.

Thanks for your input, its very helpful
    ----------------------------------
    www.schwertundschicksal.de