Thread: Jotunheim

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Jotunheim

Greetings once again, all. It's been a while since my last posting as school was occupying pretty much all of my time. But I'm glad to say that I am finally done (soon to have diploma in hand) which leaves me time to get back to mapping.

My latest mapping endeavor is a regional map that goes along with the world map I submitted previously. I decided to take a break from the large map and focus on something smaller for a while.

Critiques welcome. I'm going for a satellite-ish base with atlas-y style map elements inspired by a2area's awesome Torentine map.

There is still a ton of work to do even on this small section, like add significant mountain peaks, more roads, and name water/landforms.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whitestone.jpg 
Views:	3388 
Size:	611.4 KB 
ID:	45268  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

That terrain shading is great!

You've really piqued my curiosity here. All of your location names are rather British, but the land itself is in Icelandic. Why not simply Whitestone?
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

I love this. The texture is really nice and I like how clear and crisp it is.

It does come across as very mountainous. Is that intentional?

Thanks for the positive comments thus far.

Here's another section of the map that I've been working on. Normally when I'm doing a map I wait until the very end to give specific names to things. Part of it is the fact I tend to think more generally about putting the cultures in first and then coming up with the city and landform names later. The other part of it is the fact that I just hate coming up with names for things. There's something very "final" about naming something and seems harder to go in and change it after that.

Good case in point is some of the names I've put in already. I decided to try starting naming things this time earlier on and I can't say I'm particularly happy with some of them at this point.

As Mark pointed out, most of the names in the first map are your "standard" medieval England variety and that's not the general feel I'm going for. The world in general is built around a Norse theme; this particular region especially so. I think I've interjected a little too much cultural variety. I think this second area I've been working on is a bit more representative based on the naming, which is more Anglo-saxon, Germanic, and Nordic.

The "political" districts represented are more akin to states or provinces than separate nations, although each have their own cultural and historical backgrounds. The map when finished will represent a futuristic setting, so the political districts are somewhat inconsequential compared to the corporate entity that actually controls the whole island-continent. But that is the main reason I chose to label them with the more strict Nordic convention than the more colloquial name (i.e., Whitestone in the first map.)

So far everyone seems to like the texture/terrain shading which is great. I used some real-world topography (very heavily modified) as the base to hopefully give it an ultra-realistic feel. I will probably go back and adjust some of the color by gently painting in some satellite imagery samples to provide a little more variation and give it a better indication of land usage.

The land mass is intended to be very mountainous, particularly along its spine (the mountain chain in the northwest of both map samples). The majority of the population lives on the temperate SE coast, which is very warm for this latitude (the latitude line in this second map is 30N, but the world overall is MUCH colder than Earth). I'm a bit concerned that the topography shading may make it look a bit more rough than it actually is, especially in some areas near the coast (or, for example, in the first map, the SW area). I will probably lighten some of the darker shading to give more of an impression of rolling hills and plains if at present the terrain seems too choppy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jotunheim01.jpg 
Views:	1005 
Size:	357.3 KB 
ID:	45327