Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broca Campaign Map (first Map)

It is on seperate layers, but I somehow can´t manage to get a smaller Border without loosing most of my map.
    I think I will try a complete new map, from the same tutorial, but I will make smaller Borders and fewer lakes.

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

You could probably shave off the excess around the CONTINENT with a simple layer mask that overlaps your line. That would be fairly easy. The lakes are a bit harder. You can handle them in the same way, but it would take more work. The continent would be a simple white on black, which could probably be done with a fuzzy select and color fill. The lakes you would have to add in by hand.

So I managed to thin the Border and remove most of the small Lakes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brocaklein.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	3.32 MB 
ID:	45328

Much better.. IMHO, you still have to many lakes, and especially to many with islands filling most of the lake's boundries. Also note you need to watch your rivers.... they rarely branch going down stream(example near Angsbug).
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Agreed, it's looking allot better. In addition to Jfraz's comments I would also mention that some of the objects in the map (e.g. the buffalo skeleton) look pixelated.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I think i understand why all the lakes-with-islands ... this land is inhabited by sentient beavers, yes? And their dwelling preference is still a moated lodge, even if now those are city-sized.

:-) Do I get a prize for figuring it out?

If the rivers are on a separate layer, I'd just scrap them and start over after you read the "how to get your rivers in the right place" tutorial. At any rate, now the coasts are nicely thin and sharp, the fuzzy rivers clash.

Oh, and welcome to the guild - glad to have you with us !

So I added the other names and the region names.
    I decided to keep the Rivers and Lakes, even though they are not Geographical correct.

But Im bothered with the look of the region names, I dont know how I should change them to look better, any suggestions?
    I tried adding political Borders, but it just looks crowded. I would like to convey as much information as possible on this map.

Views:	86 
Size:	3.25 MB 
ID:	45397
    Last edited by Giddius; 06-04-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Sorry for the double post, but I have found a solution for my Region Name Problem.

The map is finished now, even though I always find one or two things to correct or add.

Views:	73 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	45478

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

i much prefer that outine (might be a bit too thin for my tastes now :p)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12