Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broca Campaign Map (first Map)

Map Broca Campaign Map (first Map)

This is my Map for my Pathfinder Campaign, its also my first try at mapmaking.
    I did this Map with the help of this tutorial: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...le-Map-in-GIMP

Currently there are only the settlements of the current sessions on it, but it will be expanded in the future and maybe if I expande my skillset, I will be able to make it better.
    any feedback?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broca Semperus.png 
Views:	244 
Size:	4.02 MB 
ID:	45284 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brocaklein.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	45285
    Last edited by Giddius; 05-30-2012 at 09:30 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

i do like the colours on this one, though the icons and and border are a bit simple, the border in particular seems a bit too thick when zoomed in

I was told that I should mention what programm I use, it´s GIMP.

As for the simple Objects and Borders, these are the ones mentioned in the tutorial, I hope I can make better ones in the future.

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

To start, I like the colors and layout.

I agree that zoomed in the borders are a bit thick. That said, I really like the coastlines and how jagged and intricate they are. Makes it fun to look at. I also have, and sometimes use the same set of brushes you're using here. Some of them, though, like the skull and crossbones just don't look good. The eyes on it give it a "teehee" look that is just weird.

One other thing, I'd stick to either the red dots for towns or the icons. Having a fuzzy red splotch under the buildings looks off.

I updated the map a little bit...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broca.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	45296

I have to agree with what others have already said. The colors, layout and coastline of the map are very nice, but the stroke size of the coastline is a bit overwhelming. Unless for some reason you cannot alter it (e.g. either it just is your outline and you don't have another one), I would recommend reducing the size of the outline. Also, the tree icons are a bit hard to make out. You might want to find some that are more clear. Otherwise, not bad.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Also, the tree icons are a bit hard to make out. You might want to find some that are more clear.
    As an alternative, making them bigger might work just as well. With icons like that, they probably are not to scale anyway, so I think it might be a net improvement.

For me, the thick stroke along along with the "lakes" that double the line with is just driving me NUTS(not that I had far to go...) It's not that I mind the thick stroke on your continent outline that much, but when you put it with the number of lakes AND with the number of lakes that are in such close proximity to each other or the Sea it's just very distracting. This is especially true for the lakes that are so small as to show no hint of water(ie, just a big black dot). Sooo... my personal opinion would be to change this in some way: reduce the stroke size, kill some of the lakes, etc.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

When I have enough Time, I want to get rid of the "1 Pixel Lakes" by deleting them manually, as for the Border I currently have no Idea how I can change the thickness retroactively.

I also would like to add an ripped Paper effect or a crumbled Paper effect, but I´m still looking for these tutorials or Plugins, maybe someone can point me to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Giddius View Post
    When I have enough Time, I want to get rid of the "1 Pixel Lakes" by deleting them manually, as for the Border I currently have no Idea how I can change the thickness retroactively.
    Well.. I guess this would depend upon how you actually built up your image. If everything follows a best practice and is on separate layers(assuming Photoshop, GIMP, or some other Layer supporting software), then you just use the fuzzy wand "tool" to select your continent and recreate the stroke. If not, things get a bit harder....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast