Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hexagonal Grid

Guild Journeyer

Question Hexagonal Grid

Hi guys,

Been finding the tutorials really helpful, so I hope this will be an easy answer for you guys.

I am looking at mapping an gladiator style arena, I think I can follow various tutorials enough to get that done, however I then want to overlay a hexagonal grid if possible over it.

Is there an easy way you are aware of I can do this, or should I just wimp out and do a square grid?

Guild Journeyer

Sorry, am fairly new to all this, missed out out one of the key points!

I am leaning very heavily on RobA's GIMP tutorial right now, learning the program as I go along, so I am not really familiar with its abilities at the moment.

I will follow the tutorial and hoepfully I can transfer the knowledge across the programs

Thanks

If you really want a super easy way to lay down a grid and also having a gaming environment to move virtual figures and such you might check out one of the Virtual Gaming Tables. MapTool is the one I use predominately, the link is in my sig, but I can wholeheartedly recommend Battlegrounds as well. In either one you can drop your map in, turn on a grid to overlay it and then drop in tokens to move around. They include fog of war features and vision as well as a whole lot more.

EDIT: In fact here is a sample map down in MapTool that we are using in our current game. It is super simplistic, but this was banged out in about 5 minutes or so.

Last edited by RPMiller; 04-25-2008 at 11:23 AM.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

If you can import Photoshop or Photopaint files I can upload an overlay at the apprentice website for you to drop on top of your map. It's scaled to fit a 4800 x 6000 pixel map, with a scale of 200 = 5 feet.

I also have it resampled and scaled to support a hex that equals 3 feet.

Here's another method:
    If you go here: http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/ you can set up your own size hex grid and save it as a PDF. Much to my delight if you open the PDF in PhotoShop you'll discover that it has a transparent background!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Info GIMP Has Hexes Built In

I think this is a lesser known filter in Gimp, but it's one of the defaults, and it allows you to build perfect hexes for overlaying on your maps:

Filters -> Distorts -> Mosaic

Then use these settings (Tile Size is the size of the hexes, and Tile Spacing adjusts the width of the lines):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gimp-Filters-Distorts-Mosaic.png 
Views:	838 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	11928

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Praise

@baez - THAT deserves some rep man *bonk*
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast