Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May/June 2012 Lite Entry: Broadway Tower

Every space serves a function. While you have clearly defined the function of the small tower spaces (bedroom, armory, stairs) the larger central space seems undefined … or at least under-utilized.

Might I suggest role-playing a simple scenario: Two guests arrive for a visit during a light rain.

1. The doorman/guard (who dwells in the ground floor bedroom) will want to invite the guests out of the rain (so he doesn’t need to stand in the rain) to speak with them … so you need some open floor space immediately inside the door.

2. The ‘guests’ will need to wait in this reception area while the ‘master of the castle’ is summoned … they will need someplace to wait, so a small end table and two chairs would be nice.

3. The owner might want visitors to be both entertained and reminded of his affluence while they wait … so a focal point to the room might be in order. Located either directly opposite the front door (so you immediately see it upon entering) or near the center of the room (as a focal point to the space). An ornate fireplace mantle, or a statue, or a fountain could serve this purpose nicely.

4. The owner arrives and has business to discuss with these gentlemen, so they will be staying a while, but not being close friends, they are not invited upstairs to the main living area … so they will need a ‘coat closet’ (which could be an armoire-like cabinet), probably located near the door, but outside of the ‘greeting’ area of item 1.

5. Since such a gathering might typically contain the owner and one or two guests … a third chair that can be moved to join the seating group of item 2 would be useful.

Given the above, might I suggest:
    moving the suits of armor to flank the doors (7 suits all together)
    a fireplace in one of the ‘corners’ to heat the room
    two chairs facing the fireplace
    two more chairs and a small table in the other corner
    a coat cabinet along the wall near the armory
    [and if space permits, a small fountain in the center of the room]

Thinking about it, you could get by with only four suits of armor, two by the armory door (to symbolically guard the weapons) and two by the stairs (to symbolically guard access to the private areas).

[I didn’t mention it earlier, but I love the small table for guests to leave their weapons before being invited upstairs.]

Thanks guys, lots of great ideas! I'll work on this tonight when I get home.

Here is an update of floor 1

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broadway2.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	45475
    Last edited by Bogie; 06-09-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Bogie, floor 1 already takes up my whole screen
    How will you fit 5 floors? Or can we use a link of pics as 1 latest WIP?

Hey Bogie How about a ( ### Latest WIP###) so the thumbnail scrubber can post give us a Thumbnail !! Looking great so far !!
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Added the thumbnail scrubber.

There will be 5 floorplans when I'm done, all will be combined onto one image. This is just the ground level.

The tower has 6 levels if you count the top of the round towers, and would have 7 if I include a basement.

Does this challenge specify exactly 5 floors or is it at least 5 floors?
    Last edited by Bogie; 06-10-2012 at 12:52 AM.

Disaster strikes again! While exporting the two floors I am posting tonight I accidentally deleted floors 2, 3, & 4 which were nearly finished. No way to recover them. If I want to finish this challenge I will have to reconstruct them from scratch. Not sure I will have time, but will try.

This is the top of the main building (5th floor) and the top of the 3 round towers (6th floor).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broadway-Top.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	445.7 KB 
ID:	45525

sorry to hear that man. I have done that sort of thing a few times and it makes you sick to your stomach. On the bright side you tend to remake them better than the first time but it's still a painful experience. I like the crenelations (forget what they are called atm) on your tower walls. Nicely done.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks great, I hope you get time to reconstruct the lost floors :/
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast