Thread: Alternate Universe Earth

Guild Journeyer

Map Alternate Universe Earth

This is a project for a client i had some fun with. It's pretty interesting all the possible coastlines revealed by adjusting the elevation. The job called for a somewhat familiar, but notably different, earth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alternate-earth.jpg 
Views:	10837 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	45346

I started with a high res elevation map (from Tom Patterson's excellent site), and painted with 1% transparency in white and black, to raise up the sea floor or drown the land. I wasn't too scientific with the plates, though when moving chunks of the world around i often divided things on actual tectonic boundaries. My biggest deviation from reality was breaking the Andes in two. South America's western side looked pretty much the same through huge adjustments of the sea level, and i wanted more variety, so i sunk it to a depth much, much greater than the changes i made elsewhere.

The coloring was a messy combination of gradient maps, masks, and blending mode overlays. I think i ended up with something half-way between a topographic map and a NASA view-from-space, though i had planned to go a bit more toward the satellite look, but it works.

Guild Adept

Nice! Except I'm sucking sea water right now!
    Upon the Creation of the World the First Dragons cast their seed in the light of a Sun and a Thousand Suns, beneath the Moon and a Thousand Moons, on a World and a Thousand Worlds.

www.sistercontinents.com

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veldehar View Post
    Nice! Except I'm sucking sea water right now!
    Me too! Looks awesome though

Guild Journeyer

Thanks!

Your old home may not be available on this world, and there's not quite as much land -- but there is a lot more beach-front property!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

True! And I love that you can still make out the shore of what was once Lake Superior.

Fun stuff - like Lex Luthor I seem to have invested in oceanfront property :-).

That muchas hugemondo Gulf of MexicoAndMinnesota is going to be an absolute beast for hurricanes when they hook past the Appalachian Peninsula.

Nicely done. I'm afraid I'm in a watery grave myself at the moment though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh