Thread: Looking for some Direction. Please

Guild Member Facebook Connected A R Frost's Avatar

Default Looking for some Direction. Please

Ok, where to start?
    Hello and thanks for having me back amongst your ranks. I'm sure at least one of you will remember me and my feeble attempts at making maps from a few years ago.
    And since life tends to go in circles, I'm back at a point where I'm gaming on a constant bases and with running a game I need to create maps.
    I have recently upgraded to CS3 from GIMP, and I'm wanting to add some life to the current game map we are using for our current game. Similar to what Tear did when he redid the Westros map but with no where near the skill or outcome that he had, but hopefully something that will add some life to the gaming world we are playing in.
    We are playing a game called Darwin's World. It's a post-apocalyptic game set in the USA about 200-250 years after 2011. The map they use is an interesting version of the USA, but not very detailed. The original creator used different color patches to represent mountains/grand canyon/Nuclear deserts and such. I like the maps look and appeal but for me and my group, I want to add more detail.
    I downloaded several of the PS/GIMP tuts, so I can learn how to use CS3 to make maps, canyons, and mountains like the pros on this site. But most of the tuts seem to me show you how to set them up in a random way and not in a specific place on the map. I know that it can be done and that it is probably pretty easy to do but for the life of me I can't figure it out.
    So i guess what I'm asking is that if there are any tuts on here that might show me how to do it , that any of you can think of off the top of your heads. Can you direct me in the right direction? I have looked thru the tut forum but I'm sure I missed the one's i need. Plus learning a new program at the same time doesn't help with the brain overload. Good thing this forum and group have always been helpful in setting a lost cartographer on the right track.

I'm attaching a copy of the map I want to recreate. It belongs to the creators of Darwin's World. I'm just showing it here as a reference to my starting point.
    Allan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BigMap.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	674.2 KB 
ID:	45323  
    In the words of Most interesting man in the World. "Stay thirsty my friends."

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome back A.R. Yup, I remember you. Well, the only way I know of to achieve the kind of effect with mountains that you are describing is to create randomly generated cloud patterns and then copy and paste them where you want them to go. I describe this process in my Eriond tutorial (see my sig) but that tutorial is directed at a more photo-realistic style map. However, you could use the method I described to generate and place the cloud/mountain structures, and then create a gradient map of them (again, I detail this in the tutorial), and just used this to represent terrain. Others may have better ideas, I don't know, haven't really attempted the style you are going for.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome back!

Arsheesh,
    Thanks I'll look at your tut. The map I'm going to do will be in more of the PS style that most of you are doing. That's just the map i want to redo. But instead of lots of greens and blues it will have browns and tans since everything is a wasteland.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

And thanks Gidde. Like the hand drawn map you did looks good.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I think it's pretty cool they actually have Scappoose, OR on the map! I grew up about 9 miles north of there in a slightly larger town.

BTW, the map looks pretty dang awesome and I can't wait to see what you can do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by libraryian View Post
    I think it's pretty cool they actually have Scappoose, OR on the map!
    From what I understand, The Lost Paradise and Fertile Crescent areas on the map where pretty much undeveloped but two different people running their home games, flushed out the areas and give them a life of their own.

This tutorial has a section on hand drawing mountains (where you want them) ...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...l=1#post173184

Quote Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
    This tutorial has a section on hand drawing mountains (where you want them) ...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...l=1#post173184
    Thanks I'll take a look at it tonight when i have time.