Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Val Nevan

that's looking very promising indeed. I've wanted to make a similar map for ages, but just cant bring myself to; it always seems as though you need too much planning to complete. keep up the good work
    Lots of patience. And a grid to serve as guidelines really helps too I find, (something that is easier to implement and later remove digitally).

I am looking forward to seeing it once a big section of buildings is done!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Thanks, peeps ^^

It is indeed mostly a matter of planning and patience and much less of having drawing skills.
    I've thought of using a grid, but since the buildings' orientations are always different I thought it wouldn't really pay off. Also: I'm not terribly good at photoshopping and I'm not really sure how to get rid of the grid. And the paper I'm using is quite good, and I realy love drawing on it

Here's another update. Small in terms of square inches covered, but large in terms of time spent/wasted
    I now regret drawing the castle first. It was supposed to become the 'center piece' of the city, so to speak, but I'm afraid it will look very shabby when compared to what I imagine to be the wizards' school ... Nuts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2056.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	1,013.9 KB 
ID:	45401

EDIT:
    the city is situated on a hill, with the castle at the top on a steep incline. The rest of the city is supposed to gently slope upwards towards the steep part with the castle. I'm not sure how to draw that, so any advice you good people could give me, would be very welcome indeed!
    Last edited by Blaidd Drwg; 06-05-2012 at 06:43 AM.

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Some programs have grids that you can turn on and off. In GIMP for instance, you can just go to "View>Show Grid" and it pops right up. Then you just repeat that to turn it off. I expect that Photoshop has something similar. Djekspek has also pointed out that you can download Isometric grids too, and pointed to this one

Besides a bit of shading on the right side of the hill, you could draw the buildings closest to the castle cutting in to it a little. That should give the appearance of an incline. Also if the city slopes up, everything is going to be slightly stepped in spots.

I just quickly drew an example of what I meant. Apologies for defiling your map but you'll see what I mean!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valnevansteppedbuildings.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	45404  

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphine_Harmonium View Post
    Some programs have grids that you can turn on and off. In GIMP for instance, you can just go to "View>Show Grid" and it pops right up. Then you just repeat that to turn it off. I expect that Photoshop has something similar. Djekspek has also pointed out that you can download Isometric grids too, and pointed to this one
    Oh, I know The trouble is, I'm doing this on real, old-fashioned paper. I've tried drawing something like this with photoshop, but it's not the same. Even with decent brush settings, I miss the feel of real paper
    Maybe I could try using tracing paper with a grid underneath, or beter yet: a lightbox. Thanks for the link! I'm sure it'll be useful then

Quote Originally Posted by Larb
    I just quickly drew an example of what I meant. Apologies for defiling your map but you'll see what I mean!
    Haha! Well, I still have the original
    But that's great advice! Thank you

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Then the best I can say would be maybe get a transparent right angle tool if you don't have one already. It wouldn't be a full grid, but you could make sure each angle was right, and be able to see through to the image underneath.

You mean like one of these?
    It works, but I think I've misjudged the scale. Most buildings are just 3-5 millimeters high and that makes it very easy to screw up. I just hope that all the little mistakes won't stand out so much when it's done

Name:	100_2066.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	1,015.2 KB 
ID:	45463

This is going to look awesome when you finish it Already it looks spectacular. Keep going!

I agree. Here's a bit of rep in advance to encourage you to finish it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

@Lyandra: Thanks
    @Arsheesh: also thanks. Not that I need the rep to motivate me, but it's a nice bonus!

I've somehow managed to mess up the streets on the right side of the town, but I hope it will look a bit more 'logical' when I connect them to the streets coming from the north.

Name:	100_2072.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	923.2 KB 
ID:	45554

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast