Thread: Dungeon within a Dungeon - The Sorcerer's Lair

Map Dungeon within a Dungeon - The Sorcerer's Lair

For the May Challenge that ends today I entered a hand drawn map of this dungeon. As expected, my drawing skills are limited but I really liked the layout / floorplan so I decided to remake the map on DundJinni, give it, as Gidde phrased it, the Bogie Treatment.

This is the original Sketch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dungeon-in-a-Dungeon-sketch_bg.jpg 
Views:	695 
Size:	447.6 KB 
ID:	45315

This is the Finished Medium Res version at 3.9 MB.
    If you would like the higher res version which clocks in at 7.9 MB it is available in my DeviantArt Gallery. Just be sure to click on "Download Image" in the upper right corner. http://bogie-dj.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d518k11

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeon_within_a_dungeon-2_bogie.jpg 
Views:	707 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	45316

Here is the Backstory and room descriptions:

When Wansor was a young summoner he made a big mistake and many good people paid with their lives. Barely escaping the enraged villagers, he vowed that his privacy and security would always be assured. When he reached a high level of wealth and power he constructed his home with that in mind. He created a secret, secure place to live and work. His Wansor Hall is hidden inside a decoy. Only the captain of the guards knows who he is and that the halls they patrol are only protection for his real home. But not even the captain knows where it is or how to enter it. The rest of the guards believe they guard an old wizards home that is empty while he is traveling. Wansor expects that any common thieves or adventurers will waste their time and energy on the rooms that contain nothing of value. He also figures that more experienced advisaries will find the secret doors to rooms 8 & 11 where they will encounter insignificant summoned creatures that they can battle.
    Unknown to Wansor or the Captain, one of the guards did see the secret door open and saw Wansor enter his inner chamber.

Room Descriptions:

1: Entrance Corridor. Off a dark deserted highway, a secret cave leads to this hidden hall. The hall is 10' wide by 10 ft high.
    The walls, floors and ceilings are well made of good stone but show signs of neglect.

2: Main Entry Room. In addition to the entrance from the south, there are corridors leading west and east. There are 6 jet black glass cubes that are 5'x5'x5'. If any case is tampered with the glass will shatter releasing the 8 HD Water Elemental that is inside it. When the first cube shatters, 2 more will soon follow and a chance that all of them will open.
    The secret door into Wansor's inner domain is in the middle of the northern wall at the peak of the V. Hidden in that edge are 3 buttons that must be pushed in the correct order to open the entry.

3: Secret Door. This door is so well crafted that the chance of detecting it without magical means is limited. If the buttons are pushed in the correct order the solid stone wedge that blocks the entry will rise up to the ceiling. If a 4th button hidden in the floor is not pushed before the stone door reaches the ceiling it will come crashing down crushing whoever is under it.

4: East Corridor.

5: West Corridor.

6: Guard Barracks. Half of the 14 guards can be found here resting and relaxing while the other half are on patrol.

7: Decoy Library and Laboratory. In this room are many useless dummy spellbooks, potions and cheap lab equipment. The guards don't know about the secret door to room 8.

8: Decoy Summoning Room. Trapped in the pentagram is a Bone Devil. He is very angry about being here. If anyone enters the room without pushing a small button in the entry hall a crack in the floor widens until it breaks the summoning circle releasing the devil.

9: Connecting Corridor. There may be a random Para-elemental or three wandering the hall.

10: Hall of Heroes. There are 10 heroic statues in this hall. Wansor picked them so they would look "Grand" here, but they have no meaning at all. At the DM's discretion some of the statues might be caryatid columns, or stone golems.

11: Decoy Throne Room: The throne looks real but is not, the 4 braziers in the corners can release Para-Elementals to battle intruders.

12: Secret Entry Hall. Connects the Decoy dungeon to the real living quarters. Failure to push a hidden button in the wall releases the 16 HD Water Elemental that is contained in the central pool in room 13.

13. Central Room. In addition to the Water Elemental in the pool, any number of wandering creatures might be in or near this room. They are all under Wansor's control.

14: Kitchen. Wansor has 4 Erynies working as his cook, maids, and companions. 2-4 of them will be in here at any given time.

15: Library. This is Wansor's real library. There are many books on the art of Summoning and magic theory in general.

16: Wansor's Room. There might be 1 or 2 of the Erynies in here, and possibly other summoned creatures as well.

17: Wansor's Lab. Numerous potions and lots of magical components and equipment. The room is guarded by a trio of Invisible Stalkers.

18: Observation Room. The central pit is used to hold and observe summoned creatures. Wansor often has 2 or more creatures battle each other in here both for study and entertainment. There are 6 statues of Fiendish creatures around the room. at least 2 of them are Stone Golems and 2 are Devils held in stasis.

19: Wansor's Summoning Chamber. This room contains powerful magic Wards.

Any number of summoned creatures could be wandering around in Wansor's Lair. Everything from minor Elemental Kin to powerful Devils. ( he prefers devils to demons since it was a demon that got him in trouble in the first place )

Last edited by Bogie; 05-31-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Real nice conversion Bogie!! I especially like the "Engravings" in the Entrance area !!
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Thanks, glad you like it. I can't take much credit for the engravings.. I just placed them, I didn't make them.
    Last edited by Bogie; 06-01-2012 at 11:27 PM.

For those of you who like their maps with a grid, this is a link to a 4 MB version at my DeviantArt Gallery

http://bogie-dj.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d51xu9y

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Now *that* looks like a Bogie map. Love the conversion

Thanks Gidde! Glad you like the new map.

That did come out nicely. Good job man. Love all the added details even if you didn't draw them all they cause you to get sucked in and wonder what it would be like walking through those hallways and that's the best part of any map imo.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks Jax!