Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May/June Lite Challenge Entry - The floating tower (WIP).

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Default May/June Lite Challenge Entry - The floating tower (WIP).

The elegant tower of master Elarion was a familiar sight on the outskirts of the city. There, the famed mage studied the arcanic secret of flight and air elementry, financing his research by supplying the nearby city states and rich merchants with prized airships.
    Until this fateful day when some kind of magical mishap happened and the tower started to collapse. Up. In slow motion.
    Surely, say the neighbouring villagers, the Gods had punished Elarion for his arrogance in tempering with the laws of nature and unlocking secrets that men were not mean to know. Then again, the said the same thing when Borald, famed inventor of the Moonshae islands chilli-dogs, died of food-poisoning...

So, the idea is to make a mage tower except that the floors are no longer connecting and instead floating above one another, slowly drifting up in the gentle summer wind.
    I am not exactly quite sure how I'll manage these effect. My idea is to use the previous flood as background for one above it, shrink it down and blur it a bit... Not sure how it will turns out... (and if anybody has a better idea, I'll be happy to hear it).

Anyway, here are the WIP so far...

Starting with the ground floor so far (this part is still where it belongs) with the entrances and store rooms.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floating tower- 1st floor- Stockrooms - Copie.png 
Views:	12922 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	45352

And the second floor, where the workshop is located (the Northernmost part of this floor, where you can see the heavy metal plates, is where the forge is supposed to go).

Name:	### LATEST WIP ### Floating tower- 2nd floor- Workshop.png 
Views:	4462 
Size:	999.0 KB 
ID:	45354

As of right now, I haven't started the other floors (the third one will be the mage's private quarters and library, the 4th should be the enchanting and alchemical labs and the last one will be the the launching area for the flying ships).
    I have not started on landscaping the area surrounding the ground floor...
    As for the furniture, but I am planning on pillaging the dundjinni forums as usual, I believe it's allowed by the contest rules.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Neat concept, looking forward to seeing this develop

Good start Simon, lots of great furniture at DJ Forums.

Ok, sorry for the late posting...

Anyway, I finished the basic plan, going up all five floors, and then I start installing the furniture, going done. It took a bit of time, because I ended up creating but mostly modifying a few objects (it's a slippery slope I tell you, you start telling yourself, "well, rather than scrolling on a piece of paper, I might as well make my maps on a computer and keep and reuse them", then it is "well, I might as well try to use something a bit prettier than paint" and soon enough it becomes: "crud, I can find the exact pillow for the leftmost chair, let's spend hald a night making it!").

Anyway, I am almost done with the 2nd floor (need to put things on the table, but first, I need to make a "ship plan scroll"), the mundane workshop (there is a sonic screwdriver on one of the table, but it's pretty much impossible to recognize at this scale ).
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Floating tower- 2nd floor- Workshop.png 
Views:	768 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	45607

Next are the mage's living quarter/library:
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Floating tower- 3rd floor- Living Quarters+Library.png 
Views:	382 
Size:	884.1 KB 
ID:	45608

Then the alchemy and enchanting laboratory:
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Floating tower- 4th floor- Enchantment and alchemy labs.png 
Views:	183 
Size:	824.7 KB 
ID:	45609

Finally, the topmost floor where the last minute fine tunings are performed and the ship launched in the blue wide yonder:
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Floating tower- 5th floor- Assembly.png 
Views:	687 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	45610

Hopefully, tomorrow, I will finish the furniture of both the 2nd and the first floor (mostly barrels and crates) and hopefully start working on the surrounding grounds...
    Last edited by Simon33600; 06-15-2012 at 03:32 AM.

Is that the ship on the top floor? That looks cool.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Hey! No Fair!! You're using a bunch of my artwork in a contest competing against me!! Just kidding! It's great to see the objects I made get used. Excellent work!

This looks like a really interesting concept. I'm looking forward to seeing the final map. It looks great so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Is that the ship on the top floor? That looks cool.
    It does, doesn't it!

That ship, and the vast majority of the furniture and quite a few texture, comes directly from the mad geniuses at Dundjinni including, our very own Bogie (hiya Bogie, and many thanks for all your hard work!)...

I also found an extra-cool picture of Leonardo's flying machine there:

Name:	Glider1_dgw.png 
Views:	259 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	45624

And here is the populated first/ground floor (with, once again, a generous helping of Dundjinnian furniture), not the most interesting set of rooms, but meh, mundane concerns need to be addressed too...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Floating tower- 1st floor- Stockrooms.png 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	45630

And that's about conclude the building itself (until I decide it needs "just one more little tweek", obviously). Well, I still need to go and add the various shadows...
    Next, I'll try and put them into context... Not sure how convincing it will turn out...

Hurm, just noticed the red outline is showing up. I'll switch it off on the fina version...
    Last edited by Simon33600; 06-15-2012 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Added the " ### Latest WIP ### " tag

Don't forget your ### wip messages.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast