Thread: Guild-member Map

Question Guild-member Map

Hey fellow Cartographers,

Lately (and for a long time), the Guildmember's Map for CG has been annoying me.

A lot.

It keeps me up at night, and furrows my brow.

Why?

Because it is absolutely, and completely awesome, and I don't have one for a large RP site I am on.

How in the heck does the common layman such as myself create something like that for my RP site? It's a medieval fantasy forum.

I know Google offers similar services, buuuuuuuut I think it sort of requires the members to have a Google account, and I'd rather not force members to make that choice if they are interested. Ideally, the map would function as CG's does; on it's own page.

Anyone who can offer me any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,

RK

Blog Entries

Well, I wrote a web app for this myself for a MUD I play. http://draconic.ca/RetroMap/ But that's probably a bit overkill. I was in large part using it as an excuse to play around with some things like OpenID.

If you don't mind managing the list of players manually, you just need to make a GeoJSON, GML, KML, or even a CSV file, and you can feed it into pretty much any of the major webmapping APIs. I favour OpenLayers myself, but Leaflet might be easier. You could also use one of the commercial ones like Google Maps or Bing.

Otherwise you'll need to write a web application to generate the file, and then display it with one of the Javascript APIs. That's what RetroMAP does, though you could probably build a much simpler one than I did and it would probably work about as well.