Thread: Vintyri (TM) Symbol Set 2 for CC3 Test Release

Default Vintyri (TM) Symbol Set 2 for CC3 Test Release

We've released a test version of the Vintyri ™ Symbol Set 2 for CC3.

Where's Vintyri Symbol Set 1, you might wonder.

In doing the CC3 conversions, we decided to start with No. 2 because it's the biggest and by far most useful of the five collections. The other four will follow.

Vintyri Symbol Set 2 consists of 15 catalogs. Right now, 13 of them are available. At the last minute, I pulled two catalogs with wood shingle roofs, because a slow-reporting tester just reported some flaws today that I wish to fix. I think I'll have those two catalogs available by week's end.

Right now, there are 13 catalogs available with a total of 300 raster symbols at 354 MB. In addition, there is a temporary installation guidelines booklet available which is important to read before installing, critically important if you have City Designer (TM) 3. I'll replace it laster with better quality documentation.

If you have comments, criticisms, error reports, etc., we're thankful for your input. I suppose you can post them here, or you can send them to:

info@vintyri.org

This is a collection of full-fledged CC3 symbols rather than simple conversions of the previously released symbols for Fractal Mapper™ 8 and Dundjinni™. The symbols have these properties:

• The three basic CC3 resolutions very low, low and high. The fourth resolution, very high, will be offered as a separate download after testing is completed. (The smaller miscellaneous objects and structural parts catalogs already include symbols with very high resolution.)

• Smart symbols with smart tracking.

• Global Sun shading.

• Integration into City Designer™ 3 in the CD3 Bitmap A category.

• CD3 Demographic Colors.

The catalogs do not:

• Include symbol collections.
    • Include connecting symbols.
    • Have CD3 random street integration.

The catalogs are in separate download groups so that you can take only what you want. You also can view the complete catalog content online before downloading.

Everything is released free for personal and commercial use under the Open Game License 1.0a.

To download, go to:

http://www.vintyri.org

and follow the link at the top of the page.

That's it.

Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri Project
    info@vintyri.org
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Great Mark! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great Mark! Thanks for sharing!
    Are you a CC3 user?
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Nope, just commenting on your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Nope, just commenting on your post.
    OK. I thought you were pure Dundjinni, so my nosy curiosity was piqued. I thought maybe you'd switched systems.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

The test version of our Vintyri (TM) Symbol Set 2 for CC3 now is complete. (See my earlier message above.) We've added:

1. A catalog of base buildings with wooden shingle roofs.

2. A catalog of general buildings with wooden shingle roofs.

3. A patch file that restores five missing outhouse and woodshed symbols to the catalog of general buildings with light beaver tail clay tile roofs.

The Vintyri Symbol Set 2 consists of 15 catalogs. with a total of 343 raster symbols at 442 MB. In addition, there is a temporary installation guidelines booklet available which is important to read before installing, critically important if you have City Designer (TM) 3. We'll replace it later with better quality documentation.

If you have comments, criticisms, error reports, etc., we're thankful for your input.

The symbols have the three basic CC3 resolutions very low, low and high (VL, LO and HI). The fourth resolution, very high (VH), will be offered as a separate download after testing is completed. (The smaller miscellaneous objects and structural parts catalogs already include symbols with VH resolution.)

The VH symbols will involve a download of about 2 GB. For that reason, we decided to do as ProFantasy did and offer the three base resolutions in the basic download with the download of the VH symbols as an option. We will release the VH symbols once we have a final product. I have no idea when that will be. We now need feedback from CC3 users who actually make some maps with these symbols.

The catalogs are in separate download groups so that you can take only what you want. You also can view the complete catalog content online before downloading. Everything is released free for personal and commercial use under the Open Game License 1.0a. To download, go to:

and follow the link at the top of the page.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Puh, looks like you have spent a lot of time into the catalogs. Well done!
    There some house catalogs seems identical to me, except the colours, why not create a varicolor style?

Quote Originally Posted by Katto View Post
    There some house catalogs seems identical to me, except the colours, why not create a varicolor style?
    They are identical with varying roof styles.

The question about varicolor and other questions that some people pose will lead to an unsatisfying answer.

The Vintyri (TM) Project's main goals are production of the Jörðgarð (TM) campaign setting and the Dungeons Daring (TM) game, not making symbols. Because our time is limited, we would have preferred to not make any symbols at all. However, when we began working on the Jörðgarð setting, we discovered that a very small number of the structural symbols that we needed actually was available anywhere. So ... we bit the bullet and made those that we couldn't find, more than 1,000 of them.

In all, there is a fills and textures set and 5 symbol sets. Originally, these were released in collections for Fractal Mapper (TM) 8 and Dundjinni (TM) but not for Campaign Cartographer (TM) 3. We didn't have anything against CC3, but creating full-fledged CC3 symbols is an entirely different process from producing FM8 or Dundjinni symbols. As I said, our time is limited. I still have a lot of online friends from the time when we used CC2 and CC2 Pro who now are CC3 users, and many of them asked me several times to make a CC3 version too. After discussions with and a lot of help from Ralf Schemmann, Romy Monsen and Simon Rogers at ProFantasy Ltd., we finally got the ball rolling.

There are only two of us working on this. To date, we have CC3 versions of the Fills & Textures set and the Vintyri Symbol Set 2. Slowly but surely, we also will make CC3 versions of Vintyri Symbols Sets 1, 3, 4 and 5. However, we barely have time to do that, much less add varicolor, connecting symbols, etc. If you look at our use and licensing policy online, which expands its liberal intent beyond the bounds of the Open Game License, I think you'll find that CC3 users can expand the catalogs in all kinds of directions and then distribute their extended work freely, without any objections from us.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project