Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delurking... Finally! :D

Default Delurking... Finally! :D

First of all, hi to all of you! And thank you for the wonderful site you've all created! :D

Now, a few words about myself...

So, after months since joining I've finally decided to delurk :P. Probably not a good idea just now, since at the moment I’m in the middle of my exams, but… ah, well… I just couldn’t wait any longer ;) I found his forum while searching for maps on the Internet, the map that brought me here was one of Clercon’s, I think :) (Love your maps btw ;)) Let’s just say that at first I couldn’t believe my eyes, so there really are people out there who are as crazy about maps as I am?! It was too wonderful to be true… Multiple searches through the forum showed that it was actually even better. You are all so talented and creative! Since I got here I picked up a lot of new ideas, tried even some mapping in photoshop, using wonderful tutorials I found here (before that it was mostly pen and paper for me)... Unfortunately I don’t have much to show on that front - yet ;) I just have to pass all my exams and then I could hopefully start mapping for real :P For now I have to satisfy myself with scribbles I make in my notebook during some of the more boring lectures. Between taking notes and trying to understand the stuff, there is usually enough time to draw something decent. The map I’m attaching at the bottom is one of such endeavors.

I probably should have started by saying why exactly I love maps so much. Well, I loved maps my whole life (almost^^), but my fascination with fantasy maps in particular grew when in primary school I read Tolkien’s books. However, maps of imaginary worlds aren’t the only ones I admire, any kind of map makes me want to study it at great length, to see every detail of it. Old, historical maps are the ones I especially like. XVI, XVII century city maps I could look at forever and hope that one day I will be able to create something remotely similar ;) I like also writing and inventing stories, which very often emerge out of the maps I draw. The map sort of starts a life of its own, I wouldn’t be surprised if with every map we draw, a new, parallel reality were created. ;P There is one particular world I’m trying to built, but it’s taking me a lot of time and I don’t think I will have anything worth showing any time soon. Every time I try to draw a map of it I’m dissatisfied, and it gets abandoned. I suppose that’s another thing I should say about myself. I don’t think that I have ever truly finished any map O_o One of the things I hope to achieve by coming here is to finally finish something...! Well, we’ll see how it goes.^^

About the map: Just a random something that started from the mountain range. Then the rest of the map sort of grew around it... No signs of human habitation, I guess it’s because I wanted to practice different terrain features and did not want to become frustrated with poorly drawn city icons. Because I used a common pen, with which I take notes, there are some ugly splotches here and there. I also did not use pencil to make a sketch, so some mistakes were unavoidable... Well, that’s that. Yet another unfinished work. No names or anything, I’ve got difficulties coming up with those too, name generators are of help sometimes, but more often real world languages are an inspiration for me. I actually wanted to wait till I have something more decent to show, but decided that there is no use in waiting anymore, let them see what my work looks now ;).Hopefully it will improve with time... If you have any comments, then, by all means, get to it :).The one thing I know I have to practice are shadows, I tend to put them in wrong places. :/

I did not want to write such a long post. Doubt anyone will read it :), but I had to sort of clear my mind^^ Finally I wanted to thank you all, I already feel welcome here :D The community is great and I do not think that I have ever felt such a need before to become part of something “virtual” ;)

Lastly, it would not be fair not to say thanks to Djekspek for his Step-by-step tutorials and torstan for his Assorted tips and tricks, both threads are great and some of the geographical features on my map were heavily inspired by their awesome mini-tutorials on how to draw things (as well as their actual maps)^^. Actually, I want to thank all of the great cartographers out there, your work was, and still is, a huge inspiration for me. I hope you will forgive me for not calling you all by name - the list would go on and on and on... ;)

Again, sorry for the length of the post. I’ve got a tendency to do just that – write too much. :/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RandomMap.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	45402  
    Last edited by Lyandra; 06-05-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Dig it... Best advice, join some challenges and complete them.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

That looks really cool! Have some rep for delurking with a cool map, and welcome to the lighted areas of the guild!

Thanks for the comments and the rep

jfrazierjr: I sure will try to enter one, but to do that I will first have to wait for my summer holidays to start^^ Thanks for advice though, sure seems like a good motivation to actually finish something

Fabulous work Lyandra, and welcome to the Guild! I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks arsheesh! Can't wait to get started on something new

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

thats a lovely map and i too have recently come out of lurking to start sharing my maps -its a great atmosphere of people willing to honestly criticize and help your work. I also share your love of 16th -17th century maps (particularly world maps) and love that they're as much works of art as maps.

Thank you guys

vorropohaiah: I love 16th, 17th century world maps too (I guess city maps just have a special place in my heart^^), and the fact that they are works of art is exactly what I admire so much about them (among other things). I really like your world maps btw. The detail you go into creating your universe is staggering, and that's just fantastic!
    I agree, the atmosphere of this place is wonderful. I'm so glad I found this place

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

thanks

my girlfriend just ordered me a copy of the Blaeu Atlas Maior, which I'm really looking forward to leaving through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast