Thread: Vinholm - very much work in progress

Guild Novice

Post Vinholm - very much work in progress

Hi there everyone.

I have started to run a game over at Salroth and have put these two examples of the work - still in progress; that this site and the tutorials here have given me the impetus to produce.

Far from perfect I know, but this is very much work in progress.

Here is the world map, produced automatically in GIMP and a couple of layers added on top to indicate frozen polar regions.

Have to admit that it is very bare at the moment, and there is much to add - but this will be covered when I start getting down to the regional mapping. I'll probably work on that tomorrow.

Next up is the village / small town of Vinholm.

Again I know it's bare, but this was created from scratch in photoshop. For those that remember Homlett from the Temple Of Elemental Evil campaign from TSR, I intend to use this village as the base centre for the players in my game.

Where I struggled with the "height levels" is that I think I have made the colours too close together, though I have been a bit bolder in this version.

Well other than adding more stuff into the maps, what do you think for first efforts (and they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks).

Normski - For a new user, I think that they look really good. Nice first efforts, although some of the colors in your village could stand to be toned down a bit.

Norm, I think you have done a great job here. Plenty to inspire you to play and tweak more, but a great start.

Make sure to post your next drafts, ok? I'm interested to see where you go next!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Great start, and as pyrandon said, plenty to inspire you to play with it some more...

Now, I'm not sure if anyone else knows this (it might explain some things for everyone else) but i'm partially colorblind (hence my love of black and white maps) but I can barely discern your buildings... the (i'm hoping) light red/pinkish color or maybe its a reddish-brown isn't all that distinguishable from the dark green ... and possibly the red intermediate road draws attention away from the buildings...

here's my suggestion ... lay down a neutral color that covers everything that the city wall ( and river ) enclose... a tan or gray... make sure your roads come up cleanly on it... and go from there...

just a suggestion of course... in the advice department I would place about two dozen other members ahead of myself.

I look forward to seeing more drafts to these maps so Keep'em coming!! we love maps!!!

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    Now, I'm not sure if anyone else knows this (it might explain some things for everyone else) but i'm partially colorblind (hence my love of black and white maps) but I can barely discern your buildings... the (i'm hoping) light red/pinkish color or maybe its a reddish-brown isn't all that distinguishable from the dark green ... and possibly the red intermediate road draws attention away from the buildings...
    This is a really excellent point and I would strongly suggest that people bear this in mind. Here are three websites that you should definitely visit:

http://www.vischeck.com/ - Online tool for checking images
    http://www.jessett.com/web_sites/usa...lindness.shtml - Has a couple PS Actions that you can install and run to check images.
    http://www.stcsig.org/usability/topics/colorblind.html - Has additional information on colorblindness and things to consider.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.