Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Battle of Calamocha

Guild Journeyer

Thanks for the links. No need to translate for me, I can read spanish (I'm from a spanish family installed in France in the 60's).

Not so much info on that battle, but however, this shows for me that historical (archives) sources can be a valuable inspiration source for mapmaking. I don't know if that has already be done before, but I think it could be an interesting map challenge...

I'm glad then, since it was very hard for me to see it the "right" way at first. And I really hated seeing a hill at the bottom of a valley. By the way, I think that if you hadn't marked the hills on your map I might not have noticed at all that I was seeing the terrain heights inverted. Other thing is, that now I cannot force my eyes to see them the "wrong" way (the way I first saw them).^^ My brain is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Depassage View Post
    Thanks for the links. No need to translate for me, I can read spanish (I'm from a spanish family installed in France in the 60's).

Not so much info on that battle, but however, this shows for me that historical (archives) sources can be a valuable inspiration source for mapmaking. I don't know if that has already be done before, but I think it could be an interesting map challenge...
    Historically there have been a notable exchange of population between the north of Huesca province and the Pyrinees françaises. For marriages between families mainly. A part of my family is french too. I have pass the frontier to visit France in severals ocassions and there is many people who understand spanish. Unfortunnately don't happen the same in the other side with the french. (anyway, you have to know it better than me).

To use the original sources nowadays in historical maps is the rule, as less if you want any credibility. The same that if you write a book, the sources are essentials. Your idea seems very good, but I haven't understand yet what is a "challenge map" in the forum.

It is strange but for me is on the other hand. In this map, I don't find nothing extrange, but in the one I sent before, for me the terrain is inverted Then, is not your brain the weird one, I'm afraid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12