Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Hedge Maze!

Default A Hedge Maze!

Structure? Dungeon? There isn't really a "Garden Features" section and it could be dungeony. In Book of Challenges, that really old 3e book, there were two mazes one of which was a hedge maze. It had blink dogs in it I think. Or maybe displacer beasts. I can't remember.

I guess it could count as a dungeon. Especially if it was full of dangerous animated topiary. Or perhaps a killer flesh golem with a hedge trimmer like in Castlevania 64.

ANYWAY. I should add that I love hedge mazes - they are one of my favourite things ever. This one I have drawn for a very dear friend who I wished to cheer up a little. But it could be used as a dungeon. I think for the next OPD I might do a maze.

I used an isometric grid as a base and planned the maze out before drawing the actual hedges. I did the plan three times before I found one I liked. I used that parchment from that one step by step drawing thread by Torstan I think 'cause it's pretty and I've been overusing my other textures a bit lately. I also wanted to try some shading using the overlay layers because it looks like an interesting technique and it's not what I usually do. Not sure about that right now. I'll have to experiment with that method a bit more.

I don't think I'll do much else on this now except tidy a few things up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ashmaze.jpg 
Views:	4842 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	45449  

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Looks great! I like seeing that there are "things" scattered throughout the maze, like the tower in the middle, the waterfall pond, and the sundial.

I am curious though, is the challenge of the maze to get to the middle, or to get to an exit? I don't see another way out, unless that little gated shed in the top right is an exit.

The little gated thing is supposed to go underground but I'm not sure to what. I once went to this real maze that had a grotto in the middle and I also went to one that had a kind of sunken vaulted chamber at the end.

The middle is the focus of the maze, the wooden structure can be used as a tea house or the like and allows you to look out across the maze, and the open grass can be used for outdoor picnics. I basically designed something my friend and I would enjoy walking around and spending time in.

Unless it had vicious animated topiary. Probably not so enjoyable then.

A while ago I designed a bamboo and wooden maze for my L5R campaign. The players never did visit it (I had a potential showdown with one of the villains there). I may do a nicer version of that one at some point.

*edit* I am glad the sundial is obvious, I wondered if it'd get lost! I should mention I like sundials too and all the silly inscriptions they can have. I think my favourite is "I count only the bright hours" though there are a million other great ones.
    Last edited by Larb; 06-06-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Now, this really is cool!
    I love hedge mazes too but unfortunately I've never seen a real one, one in which you can get lost Well, maybe in the future...^^ The way you drew it I can really imagine being there though, thanks I'm sure your friend loved it

Blog Entries

The one I know of is in Longleat House over here in the UK.
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=long...ngdom&t=h&z=19
    Its a real pain to get out of tho. Allow much extra time when you try it....

Redrobes: I'll make sure to go there. Don't know when but I've been putting off visiting a place like that long enough Don't know why the idea of getting lost in a hedge maze appeals so much to me. o_O

The one at Longleat looks like incredible fun. I could easily waste a few hours in that. I also noticed they have a traditional low ornamental labyrinth too.

I think one of the reasons mazes are appealing is because it's like a giant puzzle that is fully "interactive" so to speak. And there's a certain mystery to them.

I have heard there is a maize maze not far from me. Cue corny jokes. =P

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Oh, yeah, I remember the topiary monsters...

This map is really cool. The concept is neat and the execution style is really nice!

I love it!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

That looks really cool!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast