Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: World of Zaria and Ansgar by TheRedEpic

Beautiful map! I love your style

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Wow, thanks guys! Alot of positive feedback on these

@Larb- I do get feedback, and i can sort of take the map where i wanted, but the maps shape had to be relative to what he had in the sketch for his book. I didn't want to start manipulating and changing heavily since its not my material!

@Seraphine_Harmonium- You're right, the town square and the fortress Crenelated square are a bit too similar in the key! On the map, the town symbol is much smaller, about half the size.

@Freodin- I was experimenting a bit with this one, usually they taper away ffrom the major water mass into the mountains, and int his one i flipped it. Probably not the best descision i suppose, but at least i will taper towards the mountains and not away from them int he next map.

Thanks everyone, i had a blast with these, and they were actually quite enjoyable to do, which is not always the case with many of the commissions i get. Some are work, and some are play, and others are a combo of both.

~Jared

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEpic View Post
    @Seraphine_Harmonium- You're right, the town square and the fortress Crenelated square are a bit too similar in the key! On the map, the town symbol is much smaller, about half the size.
    Actually the key is the only place I can tell the difference at all, because being right next to each other shows the size difference. On the map itself, where they aren't immediately adjacent to each other, I can't tell what's a hamlet and what is a fortress.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I am not a fan of the landmass shapes but I assume you are working within fixed boundaries of the client in that regard.
    Beautiful style, that's great artwork. I agree I'm not a fan of the shapes either, but if you look at mediaeval maps (eg the Hereford Mappa Mundi) they also had pretty ugly, squared off, non-geographical landmasses, so in a way it's fitting. I think we forget that maps aren't just geographical representations, today we're rather spoiled by aerial maps and accurate geography!

@Seraphine_Harmonium-The only two towns are in the top left hand corner in the mountains, the square for them is very small. I agree i should have used a different symbol though, maybe just a square with a single crenelation on each of its sides rather than 3-4 on each side. At this size you just dont notice the distance!

@Robulous- Thanks i completely agree, there are many cartographers that make medieval maps look like they are a satellite picture view of the world (too perfect), when in reality, medieval maps were rather clumsy and generalized to a great extant. However i am a big fan of the Italian maps of the Medicci's which were more exact and had a good amount of detail. They were the coolest thing i saw when i was in Florence

~J

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Gorgeous as usual, sir!

Very cool. I love all the little decorative elements.

Thanks, I try to add in flourishes that wouldn't make sense to the fish out of water reader, but would be meaningful to someone illustrating the map from the story. At least that's what i strife for

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12