Thread: First Post, First Map: Kosmo ton Mython (The World of Myth)

Default First Post, First Map: Kosmo ton Mython (The World of Myth)

Hello there, everyone. First off, let me give credit to the excellent tutorial by RobA (and the update by wisemoon) for actually giving me the ability to make this map. I also apologize for the rather amateur look to it, but I've never made a digital map before this. I didn't intend to upload this originally, but in the spirit of this community and in thanks for giving me the knowledge needed to make a map like this, I decided to go ahead and put it up. This is the map of the GURPS campaign setting I created. This is a physical map only, and with only the major geographical and regional names labelled (I save everything else for the regional maps I give to my players). I didn't read the guide to map labeling .pdf that floats around here occasionally until after I had finished the map, so the labels might not be in the optimal locations. The map itself is inspired by the ancient Map of Ptolemy, as the setting itself is rooted in ancient Greek and Persian myth. I do intend, when I have the skill, to do a better, more polished version of the map, but for now I leave this for your perusal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map Upload.png 
Views:	1196 
Size:	3.60 MB 
ID:	46242

EDIT: I almost forgot to credit Arsheesh for the border texture and the basics of border making.
    Last edited by Tazgrent; 07-02-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Hi there Tazgrent, welcome to the Guild! Not bad at all for a first map. Your border and text work look pretty good in fact. The biggest thing that could be improved upon for next time I think would be to make the forests and mountains more integrated into the rest of the landscape. Currently the edges of both look a bit hard and beveled. With regard to the forests, I mention a way to compensate for this in my trees tutorial (listed in the sig). Anyway, thanks for sharing and have fun in your campaign.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Nice first map! The way to learn is to try things, then see what you like, see what you don't like and fix it. I do like the bold colors. I think you're on your way to making some fine maps!