well i was searching through my threads and found out that I havent introduce myself (the thread title really wasnt misleading in any way), though I was sure I had posted one when I joined the site a few years ago.

I've been lurking here for about 2-years now shamelessly pinching tutorials left-right-and-centre and saving peoples maps to use as inspiration. I'm 28, and dreading the big 3-0 in just over a years time and have been interested in fantasy/sci-fi/art history for pretty much as long as I can remember. My interest in cartography originally stemmed from my love of worldbuilding and the desire to draw the regions I created though over the past few years i've come to appreciate cartography as an art-form and have started to build up a small library of cartographical books (i recently mentioned that i just got hold of Taschen's 550-page version of the Atlas Maior, which I'm loving reading through.

I've been steadily working on my current world (Elyden) for around 7-years now, flitting intermittently between worldbuilding, fiction, research and cartography, though i tend to get bogged down in details, meaning both my worldbuilding and cartography tend to take far longer than i want (something I want to change with the monthly challenges here...). the encyclopaedia Elyden now stands at 520,000 words, which I'm constantly tinkering with, with details like -calendars, moon cycles, mythologies, regional histories, languages, cultures, timelines etc. basically anything that takes my fancy at the time. I pre-emptively apologise for any maps i post as they'll almost all invariably be linked to the same world so i hope that other people don't find them too repetitive!

Id love to one day publish my work, preferably as a nice in-world book - basically the encyclopaedia Elyden with maps and cartography by myself. of course I'd have to finish it to do that and that's unlikely, at least for the next few decades. I've had little luck in getting my short stories published though blame that on my lack of editing and my writing style being somewhat dense (think h.p. Lovecraft, but with more purple prose). ah well, as long as I enjoy it I don't mind (my girlfriend doesnt though... for some reason she thinks I spent too much time in this imaginary world of mine!).

anyway, a pretty long-winded way of saying hello!