Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forest Fortress

Wip Forest Fortress

I thought I'd try a few more isometric style maps and I also wanted to practice colouring things a bit more and trying out some of the methods people use here.

This one is from my own fictional world and it's in the middle of a forest. It's more of a barracks or guard post than a proper fortress. The ruined tower is a much older structure so when I get around that should become readily apparent.

On a side note, the style of architecture of the older structure is supposed to resemble that of maiden tower in Azerbaijan. I always liked the way it sort of liked like part of it could have been spun on a potters wheel so I decided to adapt the aesthetic as an overall architectural signature for one of the world's older cultures.

Still very much a WiP obviously as I'm hopping between several projects at the moment!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fortarrowpoint.jpg 
Views:	699 
Size:	703.5 KB 
ID:	45483  

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

I like this a lot so far! Looking forward to seeing how it shapes up.

Nice, I'm looking forward to the finished piece.

Thats realy cool, i´m practicing with isometric maps too, thats how i stumbled on the site but i'm drawing it in first with my hand.
    What program do you use to paint this, and how did you got the background, looking forward to see more!

I am drawing it in Paint Tool SAI using a tablet and then I will do most of the colouring in Photoshop. If by background you mean the isometric grid, I made that in photoshop first by drawing two horizontal lines on a transparent background, duplicating the layer, rotating one layer 30 degrees clockwise, the other in the opposite direction, merging the layers, cropping to the "diamond" you end up in the middle and then going to edit -> define pattern.

Alternatively there are a few grids around the forum somewhere!

Guild Journeyer

Very nice start! I'm not so used to isometric maps, I should explore this technique furthermore...

So did you do a rough sketch electronicly, or by hand and then digitize?
    I like the 'light rough sketch' with the dark, fine linework ... it brings back drafting memories of drawing light (4F?) pencil construction lines and hardlining the drawings in Ink on Mylar.

Terriffic start - Rep given for skill and originality.

Thanks!

I do almost everything digital these days. Being free of the hassle of paper and particularly having access to the UNDO function has spoiled me I think. The rough sketch is on a lower layer and I just use a big fat light grey brush to sketch in roughly where I want stuff to go. Then I do the proper drawing in finer lines. That's how I generally do my art anyway.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Looks really cool so far!

really nice work on this Larb. good example of an isometric map.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast