Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another practice map

Wip Another practice map

Since the last map I sort of drew another one in the similar "style" for practice. I think I liked previous one better, but thought I would share anyway. I'm frustrated with the desert especially, it did not turn out the way I wanted it to. The mountain range lost a bit on quality too... I'm satisfied with the forests though, in my opinion they look better now, especially the shading. Sorry for the "wobbly" cities, I tend to move around the paper a lot when I draw... For the city icons I've taken inspiration from an actual historical map, don't remember who was the cartographer though, sorry. I will try to check it the next time I will be in the library. I'm attaching two versions of the map, one is original and the other I put over one of Coyotemax's wonderful textures - just a small experiment.

All comments and criticism are welcome. I don't know if I will do anything else with this map, but who knows. Also, you have to remember that any corrections to the actual drawing will be difficult to make since it's not digital.

One thing I have to try next time is to leave some free space around the drawing or add it around it after scanning, so it doesn't look so stuffed.

Anyway, here it goes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RandomMap02_1.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	3.78 MB 
ID:	45485   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RandomMap02_1_parchment_small.png 
Views:	125 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	45486  

I like it and this is a very nice style you're developing/practicing I think. The desert and icons give it a very near-east, slightly exotic feel. I assume the slightly grid-like land is cultivated farmland and such? It comes across as that anyway though perhaps a tiny bit too regular.

I can't wait to see more.

Thanks Larb.

Yeah, that is cultivated farmland, didn't know how to represent it better. I will try to make it less regular next time. I actually tried to make the cities situated on the desert look more near-east-like than the others, but I guess they all have something "easternish" about them, probably because of the domes. Again, thanks for the input.

The desert is wonderful... it is stylish and easily identifiable. The cities are also grandious. The woods look good this way, but they could stand out some more. Perhaps a little darker, a little more contrast?

And I have to agree with Larb, the farmland is a little to regular. The style is great, though.

I don't know if I will do anything else with this map, but who knows.
    What else you should do with this map (as well as the other one)? Frame it and put it on the wall! This is GREAT!

I wish I could draw this way.

Yes, it was the domes and tall towers as they remind me of minarets and byzantine churches and mosques. And eastern palaces. Although I have been running around 15th century Constantinople in this one game I've been playing very recently which might be why it sticks in my mind more. =P

By regular I mean that it just seems a bit griddy like if you lived in Iowa or something. =P It works and you can definitely tell what they are though. And I suppose some rice paddies are organised that way too so it's not wrong or anything. I was just thinking that if they were slightly less regular squares and rectangles. I am certain I saw a map here recently with an example of what I mean so I shall do some browsing.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I like it and this is a very nice style you're developing/practicing I think. The desert and icons give it a very near-east, slightly exotic feel. I assume the slightly grid-like land is cultivated farmland and such? It comes across as that anyway though perhaps a tiny bit too regular
    my only 'crit' in an otherwise very characterful piece is the fields, but i know what you mean about them being hard to depict in another way, particularly at this scale - maybe tone down the undulating lines and making them less regular?

I love the work on the mountains, which are what im having problems with personally (lol sounds like a domestic problem)

Freodin: Thanks for the encouraging comment and the rep.
    The forests actually look better on paper, they lost some details when I scanned the drawing. I tried to make them lighter because I thought that they turned out too dark on the previous map. Yeah, the fields I have to definitely work on.

What else you should do with this map (as well as the other one)? Frame it and put it on the wall! This is GREAT!
    Well, I was thinking about adding some color... You are right though, if I do it, I will probably start a completely new map, so I won't do much with this one. You are very kind, I think that I'm going to need more practice though, before I will be putting anything on the wall.

I wish I could draw this way.
    The map of Elmsriggen that you made is gorgeous! It really shows that you can draw. You've stated somewhere that you are not an artist, but I would argue that actually you are. I'm sure that you could draw something similar to my scribbles. In your own style of course.^^

Larb: I think I drew them like that mainly because I was lazy and it sort of seemed to work (at the time). I certainly don't live in Iowa, just chose the simplest representation I could think of. (Lazy!)

vorropohaiah: Thanks. I actually like your mountains, they seem to work well with the style of your maps. They might be a bit too regular maybe?
    You are right about the scale, this map was drawn on a A5 format, and since I'm using a rather thick pen it's sometimes hard to draw the little details. Oh, and I sort of like the undulating lines. I think it makes the land look less uniform.

Ok. I looked again at the image and the forests on the left side of the mountains truly do look sort of "bleached". My scanner is to blame unfortunately. I will try to work on that too, mayby highten the contrast or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Lyandra View Post
    Since the last map I sort of drew another one in the similar "style" for practice. I think I liked previous one better, but thought I would share anyway. I'm frustrated with the desert especially, it did not turn out the way I wanted it to. The mountain range lost a bit on quality too... I'm satisfied with the forests though, in my opinion they look better now, especially the shading. Sorry for the "wobbly" cities, I tend to move around the paper a lot when I draw... For the city icons I've taken inspiration from an actual historical map, don't remember who was the cartographer though, sorry. I will try to check it the next time I will be in the library. I'm attaching two versions of the map, one is original and the other I put over one of Coyotemax's wonderful textures - just a small experiment.

All comments and criticism are welcome. I don't know if I will do anything else with this map, but who knows. Also, you have to remember that any corrections to the actual drawing will be difficult to make since it's not digital.

One thing I have to try next time is to leave some free space around the drawing or add it around it after scanning, so it doesn't look so stuffed.

Anyway, here it goes.
    Hello Lyandra

I like your practice map, mainly because you have resolve, with master hand I have to say, the draw problems it kind of maps set out. To know if the perpective of map is well made (this is important in this draft, I think, and the key of the map at last more than the details), we should have the whole map in full view.
    About the details, maybe the forest is your unresolved matter for me. Maybe if it would follow the mountain slope more... it like is a conifer forest, maybe a beech forest... or a mixture...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast