Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Venus Public Transit (VPT)

Your deathstar's gone psychadelic.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Oh come on, I can't be the only one who sees anything wrong with it.

Um... Mountain range is one word in your legend. I think the white stroke around many of your labels is a little overwhelming, especially the gray ones.

Other than that, it's a thing of beauty.

I am tempted to thnk that the symbolic complexity is too great, but there is no reason to assume that the human capacity to interpret symbols will remain the same into the future. After all, in St. Augustine's time, it was not commonplace for even a highly educated person to be able to read silently. (At one point in his Confessions, Augustine expresses surprise that one of his colleagues can read without saying the words aloud--the man was still moving his lips, though.) So it seems likely that human mental function might change to accommodate the huge number of signs and symbols we are generating today.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Thank you, good critique!

This is meant for print, so the white stroke might or might not need adjustment. What we see on screens is often very deceptive. But I will make sure I check it at print.

By lots of symbols, I can only guess you mean the color-coded route lines? Yeh, they got me a little confused, too. I'm not even sure all of them exist on the map! (LOL, a legend showing stuff that's not on the map ... but maybe those routes existed on a previous edition ... yeh that's the story I'm sticking with.) The city symbols are only three, so that's hardly a burden. Most modern maps have at least that many city symbols alone, with various size/color dots, stars, rings, squares, etc. I love loading symbols/icon onto maps, so I guess I should try to practice a little bit of restraint from now on in my ravenous (raving) cartophilia.

Mountain range is one word in your legend.
    And I did that on purpose, probs cuz I'm so aware of the tendency of English's ancestors and cousins to agglutinate. I wish English did it more. I am overcompensating, probs.

Ah. Well, at least you didn't shorten it to Morange (rhymes with orange). I'd be tempted to think you a Brit. Are they really in such a hurry that they can't take the time to say "West Saxony?"
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

OK - I'll try to be critical

- The border of P. Ishtar Terra doesn't line up with its neighbours.
    - The area borders don't really make sense on a sphere - they are very grid oriented.
    - In P. Grand Tethus, the purple lines are lost in the bg.
    - In the middle of P. Idmir I think "Slates" should be "States" (typo)
    - Are E and W reversed? (does Venus rotate the other way? and does trhat make difference... is sunrise to the E always?) Specifically, P. Lavina E and W...

But it is a really nice map. I love map/diagrams and really like transit maps.

-Rob A>

But it would be so good to finally have a word to rhyme with orange!

"I wandered lonely, picking oranges,
    On the slopes of Venusian moranges."

I definitely think we should be promoting this idea...

- The border of P. Ishtar Terra doesn't line up with its neighbours.
    Oops, must have donked it unconsciously, fixed, thanks!
    - The area borders don't really make sense on a sphere - they are very grid oriented.
    Yes, well, various explanations for that, the obvious one being that I wasn't working on a sphere but on a Mercator. But maybe so were the people in charge of parcelling. Anyway, latitude and longitude are grids, after all.
    - In P. Grand Tethus, the purple lines are lost in the bg.
    Point. I adjusted it. BTW, I forced myself to use the Four-Color Map Theorem ... and it actually works! but it's not easy.
    - In the middle of P. Idmir I think "Slates" should be "States" (typo)
    I meant slates, but if it looks like a typo then it has to change. I went to change it to SUBSLATES, but I typed SUBLATES by mistake and that looks very cool, like a CLVIIth century "sub lease" (although what I really meant was more like an annexation or hostile takeover).
    - Are E and W reversed? (does Venus rotate the other way? and does trhat make difference... is sunrise to the E always?) Specifically, P. Lavina E and W...
    I have no clue what I was thinking there. I fixed it. Venus's rotation is actually longer than it's year, btw. I figured they would just use the Earth orientation. How horrible would it be to have to learn a new compass on every planet you visit?

Good calls! Thank you!

'Morange' to rhyme with 'orange' just doesn't sound right for mountain range. I keep hearing "MOE-reynj."

The white outlines were a little heavy and print and I toned them down.

Should I post an update? (LOL, here in the Finished Map area).

Post (pretty drastically OT)

Quote Originally Posted by SpamValiant View Post
    "I wandered lonely, picking oranges,
    On the slopes of Venusian moranges."
    I'm glad to see that the 'proper' adjective for the name Venus, which is 'Venereal,' has fallen out of general practice. Gosh, I wonder why.

But you guys see why I love the word 'cereal' so much, yeh? (The food, too.)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast