Thread: June 2012 Entry: Chthonia

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default June 2012 Entry: Chthonia

Chthonia is a world of extremes. Most of the planet's surface sits a couple of miles above 'sea level'; the atmosphere in these desolate upper regions is thin and storm-wracked. Few life-forms are capable of surviving there, and most of this terrain is unexplored.

Scattered across the land are massive valleys. These might be natural formations or the result of ancient seas drying up - no one can say. Life on the valley floor is much different than the world above. Here, air pressure, temperature, and weather are more normal. There are bodies of water, some quite large. Rivers pour from great chasms in the cliff edges, feeding the lowland seas. Dense forests and fertile hills blanket the land.

One of the greatest of these valleys, Leng, is home to a thriving iron age civilization, the Empire of Zaran. Isolated city-states and petty kingdoms hold out against Zaran's 'benevolent tyranny', but there is no major power to rival them... except the Caraeum, a mysterious order of mages who work to undermine Zaran's hold on the valley.

...And meanwhile, from the Uttermost North, from across the Great Desolation, the scouts of an alien army from a distant valley have discovered Leng...

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChthoniaA.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	361.7 KB 
ID:	45503  

Seems like an interesting concept. I can't wait to see what your map will look like when finished. Good luck with the challenge!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I like the concept!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I started to do this as a semi-photorealistic look, but I can't get the cliff edges to look right. So now I'm REALLY going to open a can of worms and try to do everything hand-drawn. I know what my next two weekends are going to be devoted to...

Wow that sounds ambitious! I've recently discovered just how involved the hand-drawn method can be, and I sure hope that you are quicker at it than I am. That said, I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

this gets my vote based on the name alone!

You still working on this one Diamond? I was looking forward to seeing some of your hand-drawn work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh