Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: June 2012 Entry: Land of the Sun

Default June 2012 Entry: Land of the Sun

Okay, so maybe its time to get back into mapping. My idea is simple, a world where the sun has grow so large that all life has essentially been obliteratered, once verdant forests have turned to ash, oceans have dried up and in places during the day the land literally burns. This is going to be a map made up of several images, right now I'm working on a zoomed out view of the world and a zoomed in section. I'm hoping to have a little subtle story going in and between the images but we'll see where they go. Below is the first bit of the zoomed in map, more to come soon.

-D-

-WIP-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	45549  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Neat concept and it's great to see you mapping again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good concept, looking forward to it LW and it is great to see you back mapping.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I agree with Gidde and Jax, it's good to see you back. Also, I'm looking forward to seeing this piece come along.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

K small update. Ran the above map through Geocontrol to give it some texture and erosion and then put the base layer of colour on it. Also attached is a WIP of the planetary view. More to come soon.

-D-

-WIP-

Name:	WIP.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	45577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Planet view copy.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1,001.3 KB 
ID:	45578  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Ha, I was considering actually entering this month's challenge but you've used the idea (of a combination planet view/region view map) I was going to run with (except I was going to do a "frozen" rather than a "Dead" planet) and have thus stolen my thunder!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Ha ha, I beat someone else to an idea for a change

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Quick update. The main map has received all the work for now and I've come up with two possible pics. The second pic is just the first one with an added overlay to make it brighter. Don't know which one I'll use yet, the brighter one seems to me to look more realistic but the brightness is a bit glary to me which I find off putting. Also included is a star map I'll be using. Will have more soon.

-D-

Name:	LotS - Main Map 1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	3.85 MB 
ID:	45595   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LotS - Main Map 2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	4.36 MB 
ID:	45596   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LotS.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	3.92 MB 
ID:	45598  
    Last edited by LonewandererD; 06-13-2012 at 09:24 AM.

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

I would use the one on the right but bring down the brightness on the really white area. The mountains and the cracks look much better on that image but you are correct about the 'desert' area. I would try just taking a brush and darkening that extra bright area a bit.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast