Thread: JG style campaign map

Map JG style campaign map

Not a work of art, but for the longest time I wanted to do a couple of things. 1) recreate but improve on the classic Judges Guild campaign maps and 2) make a campaign map based on the real world where I live.

So I did both in this map. Based on Judges Guild hex grid to create a useable campaign map. It is based on real world and is to scale with the standard 5-mile hexes at 255 miles wide by 165 miles high. I added muted color to the standard elements. The mountains are the most divergent from the original JG maps. Their mountains were pretty bad. Here I used a set that is hand drawn and fits well with the spirit of the original JG maps I think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Organia.jpg 
Views:	612 
Size:	305.0 KB 
ID:	45556

Mountain brushes belong to Schwarzkreuz posted here in March.

Swamp is standard off a Map of NJ. Forest repeating pattern I made on PS but is based on standard.

Population centers are square cities and JG style village symbol.

Not finished. Will add text and castles/keeps as in original JG.

Spent 6-8 hrs on this so far. (Mostly thanks to using Schwarzdreuz's elements)

Hm, would this be a map of central and southern Oregon then?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Hm, would this be a map of central and southern Oregon then?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    yup.

using a real world model is interesting. Biomes, such as they are, are less varied than the typical fantasy map on the same scale, but Oregon does have a stark division between west and east. Unlike the old JG maps, centers of population are not evenly distributed.

I like it. It is difficult to create a hex-map that is both functional (if one is using it for the purpose of a "hex-crawl" in gaming), and attractive. The terrain of most hex-maps I've seen is generic and somewhat of an eye-sore. However, too much artistic deviation away from the simplicity of one type of terrain per hex and the map becomes much lees functional for the purpose of a hex-crawl. This map appears to strike a nice balance between the two. Great job.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh