Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RobA's Artistic Regional Map in Gimp Tutorial - Revised Presentation

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tutorial RobA's Artistic Regional Map in Gimp Tutorial - Revised Presentation

Hello,

I originally posted this over in RobA's original thread for his "Using Gimp to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map" tutorial.

I've taken RobA's PDFs, cleaned them up and rewritten them in a step-by-step format. I've also replaced RobA's original method for mountains with his later method, described in the "Simple Mountains in Gimp" tutorial. Also, since RobA recommended Arsheesh's method for creating forests, I included Arsheesh's "Photorealistic Trees in Gimp" steps as well. I have credited both authors within the tutorial itself. Additionally, I updated the instructions for version 2.6 of GIMP.

I wanted to post the whole thing in a separate thread, to give access to those who may not have known about RobA's original tutorial or its thread. I mostly rewrote and updated it so that I would be more easily able to recreate the process, but it also occurred to me that a lot of people were posting on the thread about things they didn't understand. So I am hopeful that this update/revision is even more helpful to members than the original.

In addition to the PDFs I have included a JPG of the example map I created while revising the tutorial. It's not the greatest, but serves the illustrative purpose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pt5_Figure08.jpg 
Views:	1612 
Size:	297.2 KB 
ID:	45569Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map Pt 1.pdf 
Views:	1742 
Size:	570.7 KB 
ID:	45565Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map Pt 2.pdf 
Views:	903 
Size:	421.9 KB 
ID:	45566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map Pt 3.pdf 
Views:	889 
Size:	714.6 KB 
ID:	45567]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map Pt 4.pdf 
Views:	787 
Size:	738.0 KB 
ID:	45564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map Pt 5.pdf 
Views:	820 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	45568
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

Hi Wisemoon, thanks so much for going to all the work of doing this. Regarding the photorealistic trees portion, I've made some heavy modifications to the tutorial. While it would probably require too much effort to incorporate these into this tutorial, one thing I can suggest that will help reduce the beveled look of the forests somewhat is to set one of the Tree color layers (preferably the middle green tone) to "Multiply", rather than soft-light or overlay. This will help the color to saturate a bit more. Otherwise looks great.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	606 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	45870

Any ideas why my mountain has turned out so bad. Ive tried the mountain tutorial 3 orv 4 times now and I'm sure I've done it step by step, but keep getting the same results as above.

I am having the same problem whit Holdenburg and would really appreciate if someone could help out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade of Dawn View Post
    I am having the same problem whit Holdenburg and would really appreciate if someone could help out.
    Which version of the tutorial and which version of Gimp are you using?

-Rob A>

Thank you to both RobA and Whitemoon for the original and revised tutorials. However, I am on step 40 of the second PDF (editing deserts) and am wanting some clarification. It states you can add in the deserts by coloring on the layer mask with a soft brush at 60%, but it does not specify which layer mask to edit. Is it the dirt layer mask, grass bumps layer mask, grass texture layer mask, or the grass layer mask? The most current layer would be the original sketch (if you had one) which had been moved to the top.

I have also attempted the mountains before and had a similar problem as the previous posters. I am using GIMP 2.8.2

EDIT: I think the mountain problem was because it was easy to miss where you are supposed to change the output levels as well as the input levels on step 19 of the third PDF (altering the color levels on the mountain noise layer).
    Last edited by GunbladeKnight; 10-14-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Which version of the tutorial and which version of Gimp are you using?

-Rob A>
    I am using Gimb 2.8 and I am not sure about the tutorial all I know it's meant for Gimb 2.6... I downloaded the tutorial from this thread...

EDIT: I think the mountain problem was because it was easy to miss where you are supposed to change the output levels as well as the input levels on step 19 of the third PDF (altering the color levels on the mountain noise layer).
    I need to do the tutorial again and try to spot if I make some mistake in that part.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected sirsig's Avatar

Great work!

As a side note, as I am giving Gimp a shot after on/off success with PS.

The colour palette recommended is not linked (I didnt see it anyways) in this revised thread. So I had to hunt down the original thread to find the zip file.

So other then attaching the zip here as well for convenience, great work to you and RobA

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Thanks for the great work, both of you.
    Just a question: Why is it, that the forests in the example map here appear to be taller than the mountains; an effect that RobA's original map at (http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...l-rpg-map.html) doesn't "suffer" from.

Mind you, I have not gone through this tutorial yet, it was just something that occured to me while reading this thread and PREPARING to go through the tut

Guild Novice

Info

Quote Originally Posted by Holdenburg View Post

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	606 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	45870

Any ideas why my mountain has turned out so bad. Ive tried the mountain tutorial 3 orv 4 times now and I'm sure I've done it step by step, but keep getting the same results as above.
    I'm sure had a similar problem which seemed to be caused by not removing the selection created in step 10. The only clue to it being removed is an identical selection being created agin in step 27. I went back and managed to correct it, removing the selection before step 16.

I assume the Colours->Levels... and Colours->Curves... changes are constrained to the selected areas. I can't recreate the effect exacly right now but my mountain are surrouned by a pronounced ditch and glacis effect. Maybe the 640 by 400 image I'm playing with is too small...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast