Hello,

I originally posted this over in RobA's original thread for his "Using Gimp to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map" tutorial.

I've taken RobA's PDFs, cleaned them up and rewritten them in a step-by-step format. I've also replaced RobA's original method for mountains with his later method, described in the "Simple Mountains in Gimp" tutorial. Also, since RobA recommended Arsheesh's method for creating forests, I included Arsheesh's "Photorealistic Trees in Gimp" steps as well. I have credited both authors within the tutorial itself. Additionally, I updated the instructions for version 2.6 of GIMP.

I wanted to post the whole thing in a separate thread, to give access to those who may not have known about RobA's original tutorial or its thread. I mostly rewrote and updated it so that I would be more easily able to recreate the process, but it also occurred to me that a lot of people were posting on the thread about things they didn't understand. So I am hopeful that this update/revision is even more helpful to members than the original.

In addition to the PDFs I have included a JPG of the example map I created while revising the tutorial. It's not the greatest, but serves the illustrative purpose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pt5_Figure08.jpg 
Views:	1613 
Size:	297.2 KB 
ID:	45569Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map Pt 1.pdf 
Views:	1751 
Size:	570.7 KB 
ID:	45565Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map Pt 2.pdf 
Views:	916 
Size:	421.9 KB 
ID:	45566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map Pt 3.pdf 
Views:	897 
Size:	714.6 KB 
ID:	45567]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map Pt 4.pdf 
Views:	793 
Size:	738.0 KB 
ID:	45564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map Pt 5.pdf 
Views:	831 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	45568