Thread: Diethelm

Guild Journeyer

Default Diethelm

So as well as the area map, I am also going to try working on the city map for the dnd game I am in now.

I have joined part way through, so the town/city has already grown somewhat and stands at a population of about 4,000.

The initial city started of with Oleg's Trading Post and has grown since then in a number of phases as follows (these are areas not solo buildings):

1. Olegs (Shop)
    2. Housing and Smith
    3. Temple to Tempus
    4. Jail, Garrison, Monument
    5. City Walls
    6. Housing and Inn
    7. Market and Housing
    8. Library and Shrine to Oghma
    9. Granary

Going to try and design the city to show the development in these phases rather than planned from the start

I'd probably draw basic sketches of the phases separately then and note positions of things like earlier defensive ditches as they'll influence the street plan and will be the origin of street names (ie: dyke street). Anyway, I look forward to seeing it!

Guild Journeyer

Ok, each 'plot' on the map (note some of the buildings they have built cover more than 1 plot) is meant to support about 250 people. A quick google search suggests 250/acre is realistic for a medieval city, so we can use that as the basis, therefore each plot is about 1 acre, is about 200ft x 200ft. or in squares 40 x 40

The map I have for Olegs is 28 x 22 which makes it too small. On this basis, so I have my first decision, do I have various stalls set up against the outside wall of the old fort, or do I have it as a higher density plot?

After a bit of thought I like the idea of a walled in bazaar, and am happy with it building upwards to cover expansion, so I am going to leave it that size.

Ok, the smith district then goes around the main road into olegs, and gathers around that main route. The bigger houses can then back onto the wall itself or on a new path striking east (towards the first farmlands they settled).

Which gets us the city looking like this at phase 2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phase 2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	45592

Guild Journeyer

Next phase was the 2 plot temple. Given this is the god of war I see this as being heavily fortified,hence no need to snuggle too tight to olegs, so I have placed it just off Farm Lane to the south, then allowed the housing to spread out in the protected area between the temple and olegs.

Name:	phase 3.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	45593

Apparently between stages 3 and 4 the town had some problems with a Troll invasion, hence everything around stage 3 should be lightly fortified at worst. I can see any outlying buildings being destroyed, and a light pallisade being put up around the smithing area with maybe a ditch.

The military style building I can then see being in a complex covering the weakest angle to the city as below

Name:	phase 4.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	45594

Anybody see any flaws in logic with the city so far?

Note the population at this point is meant to be 9 x 250 = 2,250. Hence there is an argument the housing needs to spread more I think
    Last edited by Jkaen; 06-13-2012 at 05:24 AM.