Thread: ZombieNirvana in GIMP - up to #6

Wip ZombieNirvana in GIMP - up to #6

Here's my attempt at using the ideas and techniques from the Zombie Nirvana podcasts. Before I started this, my skills in GIMP were limited to basic photo editing. Now, although I'm working with an older version (2.2 - grrr that nobody has made a package for 2.4 for older Ubuntu installations), I'm managing to figure my way through some of this.

Things I've had to adapt for GIMP:

- Patterns - scaling isn't done on the fly (I think that's possible in 2.4) but I create separate images for the patterns, scale them and put them in the pattern's folder. It's a bit more time consuming, but I get the same effect. I do a bucket fill into a new layer. I created two layers for two different forest patterns (just offset/horiz flipped one) and carefully masked that way.

- The wood cut. Oy. There's a separate post (do a search on wood block) where RobA talked about how to use the Newsprint filter to duplicate the wood cut. I masked, created the basic lake shape, put it in a separate image, applied a gauss blur (two of them), merged layers, converted to grayscale, applied the newsprint and the copied/pasted back to my full image. Tedious, but I couldn't seem to make grayscale layers in an RGB image. Maybe there's a way to do this with thresholds, but I'm at the limit of my GIMP knowledge with all this.

So here's where I'm at and I'm about to move to podcasts 7 through 10. I'm very certain I'll have tons more questions.

Neurowiz

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    You can use the newsprint in rgb as well. Just make the r, g, and b settings all the same and it will work just like it is greyscale.

-Rob A>
    Well, there you go. I'll remember that for the next one.

I finished podcast 7 - which ended up being paths in GIMP. Neat stuff. I find myself wanting to go back and start over, but I'm going to tough it out and keep what I have. I did make my border on my lake thinner (which was a frustrating exercise in learning what selections and masks don't do... ended up being easier to just use the eraser) and now I'm off to make towns.

Neurowiz