Thread: Windon: Maybe a WIP?

Map Windon: Maybe a WIP?

Hello there! I just finished my first map. It isn't the first time I've put pen to paper and started drawing, but it's the first time I actually finish the map. Anyway, its a map of an island or continent called Windon. I don't intend to use it for anything, its just practice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x7QeH.png 
Views:	2584 
Size:	596.2 KB 
ID:	45172

Anyway, I have a few problems with it. The physical copy has black ink for the coasts, mountains, and forests. The names and political borders were drawn in blue ink, to separate them. When I scanned them with a Neatdesk, the colors went away, and now the borders and rivers are hard to tell apart. I also made some typos, such as spelling "Borders" as "Boarders" in the key, and spelling "Isle" as "Ilse" at the botom of the map, in the bay. Otherwise, I like the coasts, and the mountains, but the trees could use some work.

I don't know if I should keep working on this in GIMP, fixing the typos, adding some color and detail, or just move on to the next project.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Nice first map! If you're going to digitize hand-drawn stuff, I'd definitely recommend getting a scanner that isn't as business-oriented as the neatdesk and others like it; they tend to automatically do stuff to the scan that hurts the image.

Coloring/touching up in Gimp might be good practice, but so would starting a map from scratch in Gimp. It all depends on whether you're tired of this map or not

=D Nice map! Keep practicing like it doesn't matter... I find that's always helpful for achieving my best. Unless you like pressure; then, enter a challenge.

One question. Is Windon, by chance, the name of your dog?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

Welcome to the board! That's a very nice start; I like the overall distribution of the elements (though perhaps the lakes so close to the rivers should be connected to said waterflows).

I think it would be both a good excercise and an addition to your collection to keep working on this map with GIMP. One option to easen the pains of adapting it would be to simply keep the continental shape and redraw the interiors in separate layers. Though it will be slower at first, the degree of control it gives you over the different elements is really a huge boon.