Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mega Continent Idea

Help Mega Continent Idea

As the title states I have an idea for a mega continent, much like Pangaea. However I am not skilled in making maps on the computer only hand drawn ones. I am hoping that someone on this site would like to work with me or use my idea and make one with their own flare of creativity. I am currently lacking a working scanner as mine had an unfortunate accident of ending up playing the role of a cushion in order to break the fall of one of my friends. As such I can't upload my hand drawn version to use a reference, but all that matters is that it is a super continent (it can have a few small islands doted around or near, preferably) and that at its center is a massive desert called "The Sand Sea" with an oasis city at it's center. This is for a Pathfinder game I am running but later on will be the world map for one of my future novels (whether or not it gets published is not up to me....unfortunately).
    I hope someone or some people are interested in working with me and lending me a hand and full mentions and credits will be made for those who do assist. If any require compensation as this is technically a commission request I am sure we can work something out, but I hope to avoid that as I have extremely limited ways of paying electronically. ("I'm BROKE!" Is what I am trying to say )
    Also I am new to this site and by new I mean I have only been a member for less then an hour as I am typing this so bare with me please if I am a little unorthodox and if I messed up the prefix for this thread, thank you.

Guild Journeyer

Hi Kyras!

Another possibility is to take a shot of your map with a camera or even a mobile phone...

Hope you'll find someone interested in your project!

Sounds pretty good and with plenty of freedom for the artist. If you check out the sticky at the top of this forum there is a recommended list of things to mention when requesting a commission that will help you line up with someone. You might want to take a look over that and update your request just to help yourself out.

If you have any styles you see here or elsewhere that you imagine you would like please feel free to provide links to those as well.

Welcome to the guild!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Not sure exactly where that sticky is, I am still fairly unfamiliar with this site. I have been bumbling my way through, however I have found a few styles that I really like but I don't want to influence any decisions from others who are willing to help me out. I want pure imagination, no interference....if that makes any sense.
    If I had to make any guidelines then they will go as follows.
    -super continent
    -massive desert at its center with an oasis city in the deserts center
    -desert and surrounding areas walled off by impassable natural formations except for shorelines (except to the desert, all areas have natural passageways)
    -variety of coastline, island, and land formations/types based on geological locations (believable as if it were an actual planet)
    -cities, towns, villages, etc. can be placed but no names (the same for locations and countries)
    That is my list, but as I said the only must is the desert. Thank you for your time and patience.

The sticky (persistently topmost topic) is on the page you get by backtracking one level in the 'bread-crumb' links at top(ish) of this page. Among "Forum * Mapping Resources * Mapmaking Requests * [Paid?] Mega Continent Idea" select Mapmaking-Requests and there 'tis.

Reason for all the requested specificity is even *I* could satisfy the bare bones of your initial post, with crayons on construction paper, in ten or so lines... but that wouldn't satisfy *you* very well. Example styles you're looking for helps us know if we can or want to tackle the project. If you hones-to-goodness don't hare what style is used, well we need to know that too :-). I respect your "don't want to hamper creativity" intent, but neither would I want to spend time producing something you really wouldn't like. How about if you at least specify generalities - like line-art instead of photorealism, old-fashioned instead of modern, monochrome or rainbow-hued, topographic vs. political (or mixed), with or without PangeaMotorOil adverts in the margins....
    Last edited by jbgibson; 06-21-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Blog Entries

I have this one in 3D here and in high res 2D already. Its creative commons so you can use it and share it with a few restrictions. Is this any good ? If you want the 2D version then post and also PM me cos I sometimes miss the thread updates...

Edit: Actually, it seems it compresses really small being all similar colours, so here it is attached as a zip. Its about 7000px square. Hope this is useful.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 06-22-2012 at 06:11 AM.

That's fair, alright the style I prefer is very similar to the feature map on the home page by Schwarzkreuz. A old/fantasy based map but with all the trappings of a map fully capable to be used for navigation. I don't know the proper name for it but a clearly visible distance conversion chart/meter, as well as equator, prime meridian, tropic lines and arctic/antarctic circles. The more old fashioned it looks the better, I hope that makes everything clearer. Sorry for being all over the place.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kyras_Fenrir View Post
    That's fair, alright the style I prefer is very similar to the feature map on the home page by Schwarzkreuz. A old/fantasy based map but with all the trappings of a map fully capable to be used for navigation. I don't know the proper name for it but a clearly visible distance conversion chart/meter, as well as equator, prime meridian, tropic lines and arctic/antarctic circles. The more old fashioned it looks the better, I hope that makes everything clearer. Sorry for being all over the place.
    Which size shall the map have?

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    Which size shall the map have?
    I am not sure, at the very least I would like to be able to use normal sized paper and not be distorted when I print it and not have to fiddle with sizes. I really appreciate this, I can't wait to see what it looks like.
    Also I can't seem to find my original hand drawn version so I spent a little time and redid a basic version....I just don't know how to post the image yet as I have never done it before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.0 Original Map.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	46221

Hopefully this works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast