Thread: WIP Map for the Manga Berserk (Looking for Advice, and Help)

Default WIP Map for the Manga Berserk (Looking for Advice, and Help)

I am a huge Berserk fan I've reread the entire manga twice, and like any fantasy genre i read i always map the adventures travels in my head. Most fantasy worlds come with a map of some sort for direction, however in Berserk's case the author Kentaro Miura has never drawn a map to go with his epic fantasy world. This has left me to map it myself, which at first began in my head, and eventually translated onto paper. I've only done very basic rough drafts to get a sense of where everything is, and im still far off from creating a final draft. Now even though Miura hasen't come out with any official map, leaving lots of freedom on my part i still want to go off as much of the manga as i can. I've done as much research as i can into the names of kingdoms, and major towns, and geography of Berserk by reading through the manga several times, and asking for help on the fan site for Berserk, and this is what i have so far. I'm looking to see if any Berserk fans have anything they want me to add or move. If no one has any objections i will simply fill in the blanks with my imagination. Thanks and i appreciate any help. PS there are maps of Berserk but there only the names of things in the manga pasted over images of Europe, or Middle Earth LAME!

Here is the outline, the start of the 1st draft, and where i currently am.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Berserk 1st Rough Draft.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	45659 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Midland Rough Draft 4.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	45841

Name:	Midland part 1.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	45765

Name:	Midland draft 1.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	45795 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Berserk Map 5th Rough Draft.pdf 
Views:	140 
Size:	344.9 KB 
ID:	45888

Name:	Berserk map Midland.jpg 
Views:	863 
Size:	539.9 KB 
ID:	46627

Name:	Midland 2nd Draft.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	45797

Name:	Berserk Map final draft color wip.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	46074
    Last edited by Havercakes24; 07-16-2012 at 08:24 PM.

I've seen the anime, but not read the manga. I looked through my own search methods and couldn't come up with much, myself, for a map. There are a few Japanese art books related to the series, but I don't know the exact contents. Sometimes such books contain maps, even if they are just rough ones. I saw one listed on EBay, so you could contact the seller to see if it has a world map in it. Just do a EBay search for "Berserk artbook" and it will come up. If you don't know of it already, a site called arcticnightfall.com is devoted to Berserk and has listings of various merchandise that came out for it, including the art books, so there's another avenue to look into them, if you wish. Again, I don't know if these books have any map data in them, but they seem like a possible source.

Other than that, there is a new series of Berserk animated movies currently coming out in Japan, and the DVDs, when/if they are released overseas, may or may not have map info in the scenes or in extras.

yes i researched there are maps for berserk, but Miura recently came out and said he just imagined berserk in Europe, like Chuder is France, and Midland is Denmark. However if you think about it this doesn't make sense with the context, and geography of the Manga. For example the siege of Doldrey takes place in a desert i don't know many deserts in Denmark. So any map i would find would probablly just show Europe or something, however if you know anything about the Japanese they are very spiritual poetry type people lol, they don't really care about location, in terms of where things are more of what the theme is, or the morals behind the place they are in. I believe Mirua doesn't really care where berserk takes place, more than he cares about the story, and the general medieval theme of the piece.
    PS thanks for replying, and you really really need to read the manga ( its all free online, no download required) the Anime left so much out, and while is very good doesn't do the characters or story justice.

Default WIP for the Manga Berserk (looking for Advice, and Help)

Here is where i am at the moment I've used all the names from the manga i could find give or take a few. Anything i draw from this point on will be purly from my imagination or based off the geography from the manga. PS (for Berserk fans) In these pictures the kingdoms of Ballden, Randell, and Eastern Dutchies have not been drawn in yet, but i haven't forgotten them.

Name:	Midland Rough Draft 3.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	45821 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vandimion Empire rough draft 3.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	45822

Default Scaned

Added a scanned version i dont know why its turned sideways, but i think its still view able. Im still nowhere near a final version as i am currently experimenting with color on copies, before i try a final draft on the original.

Default Final Draft color *WIP*

here's the final color draft its still a major WIP

Is it possible to HQ Scan your map and sent it to me?
    i am trying to create a RPG Campaign in the World of Berserk and it would be very helpful to have your map!

I could try the final map is in another thread and it is in very HQ, i believe, send me your email or something your comfortable with, and i can send it to ya.

Default next draft?

I have a couple map tutorials i might try with this work up as a base. I'll post and let you know what it looks like.