Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: World Map WIP - Comments?

Wip World Map WIP - Comments?

Hi all. This is my first real attempt at creating a world map and I'd like to get some opinions on how it turned out. It is obviously done in the "Saderan" style which I like for a generic topographic world view. How does this look? Any glaring issues? Comments greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karrakys WIP.jpg 
Views:	1838 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	45660

Eventually, I'd also like to be able to do a globe style map but I am sure this is way beyond my meager newbie mapping skills. I'd also eventually like to get into doing regional maps in something similar to the old Forgotten Realms map style, though again, that is likely a long way off for someone new to mapping.

Guild Novice

I like it. What are the red dots for?

The major volcanoes / volcanic regions. Do they work? Or should I look at something different?

Guild Journeyer

Not bad at all.

I guessed that red dots were volcanos because all are on mountaintops, but at first I thought they were cities...

Another little problem is that the mountaintops seem flat.

My two cents...

Hi Khaalis! Your map turned out quite nicely. Well done. I guessed what the red dots were for but it's not that obvious and I think maybe you should work on finding a better way to represent volcanoes. Are you going to be adding more rivers? I would expect more of them on a world-scale map. I also think that it's not that common for rivers to start in big lakes, but I will leave it for the river police. That said, it really is a great map. I like how you managed different terrain. The textures used blend smoothly.

Hi there Khaalis, looking really nice so far! I agree with the above comments about the volcanoes, if you put in a map key indexing them to volcanoes that would help, but they still seem a bit abstract for a map such as this. The textures you've chosen all go really nicely with the map. I have mixed feelings about the snow on your mountain peeks. My first impression was that they should have been blended a bit more. However, as I looked at the map more I thought they looked sort of interesting, and if you aren't going for photo-realism, but a slightly more abstract and stylized map the could work. Great job so far.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I agree with arsheesh, the tops are very abstract and not what I would expect. Well it is interesting, but I am not sure how well it looks together with the other textures and elevations.

I had a real problem getting the mountains to texture the way I wanted. I simply couldn't seem to get them high enough or altering enough in height and shape. Any suggestions on how to work them? Also any suggestions for the volcanoes? Perhaps simply darker shading and more texture to appear as craters?

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Khaalis View Post
    I had a real problem getting the mountains to texture the way I wanted. I simply couldn't seem to get them high enough or altering enough in height and shape. Any suggestions on how to work them? Also any suggestions for the volcanoes? Perhaps simply darker shading and more texture to appear as craters?
    Try to change the level and emboss settings or simply add an layer above with l+e to get more depth.

Wip

Thanks Sapiento, I'll do that next.

The following is what I did just messing around with the layers I already had and working on a smaller scale. Thoughts?

Name:	Karrakys WIP Mountains.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	45818

Name:	Karrakys WIP Mountains 2.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	45820
    Last edited by Khaalis; 06-19-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast