Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making bogs and swamps in GIMP

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Default Making bogs and swamps in GIMP

I am having some trouble figuring out how to make bogs in GIMP, and have them not look terrible.

Here is how I made bogs in a hand-drawn map, later edited in GIMP:
    Name:  Bog1.jpg
Views: 1476
Size:  22.5 KB

And here are the same bogs made directly in GIMP, on a map with a parchment effect. In this, the bogs were made by overlapping and editing the "coffee stain" feature.
    Name:  Bog2.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  10.6 KB

Now, I am not 100% sold on either of these, but they seemed to work well enough. Now I want to figure out how to make bogs fit into this map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Abred1.jpg 
Views:	686 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	45341

I can't find a useful tutorial for it here, and my google-fu is not turning up anything helpful either. The most useful thing I can find is a thread Jaxilon started a while back. It's not a tut, but it at least provides something to potentially emulate.

Here is an attempt at making bog-lands. I'd like to get some input on it, to see what needs to be improved.

Name:  Bog3.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  26.5 KB

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

That looks pretty good, except that the lighting looks inverted to me (it looks like the water is floating on top of recessed plants).

Well, it is not in actuality so. I could just add a drop shadow and see if that improves it.

Lol, I didn't think it was That can sometimes happen when folks light things from the bottom right instead of the top left. Just wanted to let you know it was causing the visual confusion. A drop shadow might help, but I think it's just a matter of the lighting being different.

It might be a bit different, but it would be a difference of maybe 15 degrees.

And now that I'm looking at it again, I'm not getting the optical illusion. Maybe my eyes were just bugging out before!

I created a couple of terrains in my Elechos map that might be close to what you are after. There is a dead bog area along the western edge of the mountain range as well as a delta roughly in the center on the southern edge that dumps into the ocean. That was all in Gimp.

If either of those are of interest I can pull up my source files and look at how I did them.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I think for the map in question, I have come up with a system that works. And I believe I saw that delta in another thread of yours (or one very much like it). It did influence the way I am making my bogs currently.

I would be interesting to see some process though, for reference and refinement in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast