Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Highthrall Cityship

Adding the buildings, which is most likely going to be the final step. I have about 50-60 different building shapes which I have made.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	highthrall-5.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	779.3 KB 
ID:	45812

This looks really, really great! I can't wait to see the end result!

Wow, I'm digging this Janden, can't wait to see the finished product!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Adept

I don't see the proportions here. Either your river is a small ford, and the whole city is quite small, or your average buildings are hundreds of meters long.

The river is a little less than a tenth of a mile wide, which puts it around 500 feet across. The largest buildings are probably a quarter mile in length. The rest are way smaller than that. Also keep in mind that I'm only putting in these large buildings first. The really tiny ones, which will make up the bulk of the buildings, are really time consuming, as I'm adding them in one at a time.

As an example, here's an clip from a really old map of Glasgow. I chose it for the river and the building sizes. The river is slightly larger than mine, but some of the buildings in it are nearly 1500 ft in length.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-06-21 at 12.34.03 AM.png 
Views:	327 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	45868
    Last edited by Janden; 06-21-2012 at 02:41 AM.

Guild Adept

But but... your city appears to be at the mouth of the river, if it is so, 500 ft means a very small river (and then, why the big city is placed there and not on a more significant river?). There was a discussion a while ago about how rivers are usually much wider at the mouth.

No, that makes sense. I don't know. Thanks for pointing that out. When I made the river and then added some of the other elements I wasn't sure yet of the scale. I suppose I could have just justified it by saying there are other rivers just off the map, but meh. I'll just make the adjustments.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12