Thread: The Western Kingdoms Map

Map The Western Kingdoms Map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Western Kingdoms Map.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	45617

This is a map I whipped up today using Ascensions tutorial. I went for a smaller part of the world rather than the whole thing as he does. Personal preference really. Show me a part of the world and I will imagine what is beyond the borders. Not something I get to do with a whole world. It's more complete than I have done in the past, but I still couldn't bring myself to name all of those little towns. After naming over a hundred larger towns I just couldn't bear the thought of doing another hundred little ones. I shall justify it by knowing that most adventures take place in little towns, so they can just be renamed when adventures are dropped into them.

I think it looks decent. Not really crazy about the pink border color for Afrir, but other than that I like it.

This looks really good, well done! The Afrir's border isn't too visible so I wouldn't worry about it.

Nice job Thesslian.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Journeyer

Good work Thesslian!

Map itself... very nice. Wonderful compass rose... your own work?

But I wonder about the map border: the black-white checkered border does not have any connection with the grid lines. It does not seem to have any cartographical relevance beyond shouting "Hey, I'm a map border!"

Thanks for all the positive feedback. The compass rose is something I put together for one of the lite competitions a few months back. I just recycled it rather than making a new one. Slapped a new coat of paint on it and ran with it.

As for the border, I didn't know the checkered stuff was supposed to do anything other than look pretty. I don't have much experience with cartography. I guess I will have to look up what the checkers are supposed to do.

the color really pops for me on this one. well done fellow hoosier.
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

very nice map! it looks like the ocean floor is higher than the land masses. might just be me though.