Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Distances of Interest

Nope, you got it, it's not that long is it? People think it needs to be really long, like miles, but only a mere 38 feet.

Infact it doesn;t matter what the Circumference is. Mercury, Pluto, Jupiter, etc, it always will be 38 feet
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Isn't it the length of a parabola with an amplitude of 6' that you are actually measuring? I seem to remember this question in my high school trig class.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Isn't it the length of a parabola with an amplitude of 6' that you are actually measuring? I seem to remember this question in my high school trig class.
    Nope, it's circumference.

Observe in the following diagram where we start with a Circle of only radius 6. Each time we increase the radius by 6 feet, the circumference only oncreases by about 37.7 feet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Circumference Thing.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	406.1 KB 
ID:	3352  
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

I really wish the world (read that as the US) would just stop fooling around and adopt the metric system
    ...I completely agree. Seems the US finds learning from the rest of the world a sign of weakness or failure.
    The U.S. officially adopted the metric system somewhere around the 1930's, I think. But like many populaces, we use both in everyday practice. We buy Pepsi in 2-liter bottles but milk & gasoline in gallons. We measure the "grams of fat" and "mg of sodium" in a Quarter-Pounder (a McDonalds hamburger). We give a pint of blood but receive cc's of plasma. Our wrenches come in both "mm" and "in". Our speedometers show both kph and mph. Cocaine is sold on the street by the "kee" (kilo[gram]), but pot by the ounce or pound.

btw ... the day I can't buy a pint in a pub in Britain will be a day I shed a tear.

I see. I was thinking of it in slightly different terms. The rope and the man stay taut against the planet. Something like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	415.9 KB 
ID:	3353  
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Great find Rob! We are so close...

Professional Artist

One I use all the time when calculating scales:
    1 degree of latitude = 69 miles (approx.) = 111 km (approx.)

Also, re: the metric system. Use the metric system all you want; I'll be sad the day the imperial system dies. Like your crazy uncle, it may not work as well but it sure has character. I like to design measurement systems for my conworld that have just as many irregularities and eccentricities.

-Rob

Blog Entries

Heres one that doesn't pop up much... a rood.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rood

B.T.W I use google now to do a lot of measurement math. I guess most of you know but you can "search" for items like "3 miles in meters" and it generates the answers.

Hah, but it doesn't do roods !!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast