Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Distances of Interest

Community Leader Facebook Connected delgondahntelius's Avatar

Or... slightly smaller than texas

Larger even than Texas, actually. TX is 262,000 sq miles.

But much smaller than Alaska, which is 572,000 sq miles.

For my own reference, I was looking at the "Four Corners" states: Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, and Arizona when I was working out my topography. I neglected to go back there before I did my settlements. Even so, considering the number of ruined cities I placed in Tawaren, I think my pre-plague population level would be about right, and a map of this scale wouldn't necessarily show smaller populations unless they were significant in some other way.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected delgondahntelius's Avatar

True... I was estimating the distance up and down ... roughly 700 x 500 miles... sq distances that aren't in a neat box cause me anguish. Whenever I'm mapping out areas like these, I always keep a point of reference that I understand. This is almost always done by figuring distance between cities in the U.S. Since I spent four years driving a truck over the road, I've been to every one of the continental US states save for North Dakota. So for the 600 x 600 miles I equate the distance across as being a trip from El Paso to Dallas. Since I've driven that before (more than several times) I can then put down towns and cities and other features with some confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I came across the term from a puzzle so given that were into full on puzzle mode this month - have a go at it if you dare...

http://stuhasic.com/enigma/enigm023.htm
    I've solved it! And I even documented how I arrived at my answer, just in case anyone wants a hint.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

For fantasy battlemaps:

1 "pace" = 5 feet

Since I wanted to depart from the "you enter a thirty-foot-by-thirty-foot" room descriptions, I decided to create a fairly equitable system where I just had to count map squares.

(A pace is the average distance the Sarat covered for his left foot to hit the ground twice while crossing a bridge in my campaign)

This also seems a lot more like it would be a guesstimate for characters. "You enter a room approximately six by five paces". It makes it easier to hide secret rooms in buildings. (If the players want to pull out their measuring-rope, they certainly can....)

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

I was doing a random search for map reasources and found this site... (www.indo.com) not sure if you all knew about this yet or not but I thought it was worth a link.

It is a location distance generator thing? (How far is it?)

----Search out put looks like this----
    Distance between Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States and London, England, United Kingdom, as the crow flies:

4649 miles (7482 km) (4040 nautical miles)

Initial heading from Oklahoma City to London:
    northeast (42.1 degrees)
    Initial heading from London to Oklahoma City:
    west-northwest (298.8 degrees)

Oklahoma City, USA:

London, England:

----------------------------------

-Chris
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Ooh! That is sweet.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234