Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Distances of Interest

Info Distances of Interest

This thread is for people to post distances and or space measurements from life and art.

I often find when I'm setting a scale or reading a map that I'd like a rule of thumb for what the numbers mean. This is for posting what you think is significant. If we can I'd like to keep this thread on target. If not we'll have to collect any posts at the end.

-Sigurd.

Post House keeping

Basics:

1 mile = 1.609 km
    1 km = 0.6214 miles

Acre - One acre comprises 4,840 square yards or 43,560 square feet (which can be easily remembered as 44,000 square feet, less 1%). Because of alternative definitions of a yard or a foot, the exact size of an acre also varies slightly. Originally, an acre was a selion of land one furlong long and one chain wide. However, an acre is a measure of area, and has no particular width, length or shape.
    Wikipedia

Chain - A chain is a unit of length; it measures 66 feet or or 22 yards (20.1168m). There are 10 chains in a furlong, and 80 chains in one statute mile. An acre is the area of 10 square chains (that is, an area of one chain by one furlong). The chain has been used for several centuries in England and in some other countries influenced by British practice.
    Wikipedia

Furlong - A furlong is a measure of distance in imperial units and U.S. customary units. It is equal to one-eighth of a mile or 660 feet or 201.168 metres.
    Five furlongs are approximately 1 kilometre (1.00584 km to be exact). Since the original definition of the metre was one-quarter of one ten-millionth of the circumference of the Earth (along the great circle coincident with the meridian of Longitude passing through Paris), the circumference of the Earth is about 40,000 km or about 200,000 furlongs.
    Wikipedia - Roman Origins

Hectare - A hectare (symbol ha, pronounced /ˈhɛktɛər/) is a unit of area equal to 10,000 square metres, or one square hectometre, and commonly used for measuring land area. A 100 m square is one ha. Its base unit, the are, was defined by older forms of the metric system, but is no longer part of the modern metric system. The Comité International des Poids et Mesures classifies the hectare as a unit that is accepted for use with SI.
    Wikipedia - Metric & Imperial

League - A league is a unit of length or area long common in Europe and Latin America, although no longer an official unit in any nation. The league most frequently expresses the distance a person, or a horse, can walk in 1 hour of time (usually about 3.5 miles or 5.5 kilometres).
    Wikipedia (also info on Roman Measurements)
    Last edited by Sigurd; 04-28-2008 at 12:10 AM.

Chain - Sixty-six feet. Ten chains to the furlong, and 80 chains to the mile.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Post Middle Earth

These measurements are taken from this map which is clear but perhaps not authoritative. If someone has a better source post or PM me.

All measurements are straight distance, as the crow flies.

Brandywine Bridge to Mount Doom
    = 333.6 Leagues
    = 1167.7 Miles
    = 1835 Km

Minas Tirith to Minas Morgul
    = 18.7 Leagues
    = 65.5 Miles
    = 102.85 Km

Edoras to Minas Tirith
    = 98.2 Leagues
    = 343.7 Miles
    = 540.1 Km
    Last edited by Sigurd; 04-27-2008 at 07:47 PM.

Post Real World

The island of Great Britain encompassing England, Scotland and Wales - 80,820 sq.mi
    Kansas - 81,820 sq. mi.
    Minnesota - 79,620 sq. mi.
    World Factbook - Includes 2008 est pop

Prince Edward Island - 2,195 SQ MI , 5,683.91
    139,089 residents (Wikipedia 2008 )
    Wikipedia - PEI

Gibraltar - 2.642 sq mi, 6.5 sq. km.
    Pop: 28,875 (Wikipedia 2008 )
    CIA Workbook
    Wikipedia

Lichtenstein - Europe's fourth smallest state with an area of approximately 100 square miles. The total population is 28,000 of which 18,000 are citizens of the Principality.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 04-28-2008 at 12:20 AM.

I really wish the world (read that as the US) would just stop fooling around and adopt the metric system and dump imperial measures. It would be so much easier not to mention accurate.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

RPMiller - I completely agree. Seems the US finds learning from the rest of the world a sign of weakness or failure.

btw. You posted - you owe the thread one interesting measurement

please.. (makes pathetic face)

From ocean to ocean (ie. San Diego, CA, USA to St. Simons Island, GA, USA), the shortest travel distance I found is 2,316.5.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I'll post my interesting measurement as a puzzle:

If you have a rope long enough to wrap around the equator of Mars, how much longer must the rope be to allow a 6 Foot tall man to walk underneath it all the way around?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

r = radius of Mars in feet
    C1 = circumference of Mars in feet
    C2 = new length of rope in feet
    pi = 3.14159
    L = additional length of rope necessary.

C1 = 2 * pi * r
    C2 = 2 * pi * ( r + 6 )

C2 - C1 = L

Equatorial radius of Mars = 3396.2 km = 11142388 feet

C1 = 70009629 feet
    C2 = 70009667 feet

L = 38 feet.

That doesn't seem long enough. Maybe I'll recheck my math...

edit: No, I'm right. C + x = ( 2 * pi * r ) + ( 2 * pi * ( r + x ) ) That's kind of strange; you'd think it would be much bigger.
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 04-28-2008 at 11:49 AM.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast