Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gwinekoré - City of the Pact

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept

Wip Gwinekoré - City of the Pact

This is another of the eleven free cities around the mouth of the river Kelerion. It is the second I am mapping after Eryemiré. The map is here in the same scale (1px = 2m), as you can see Gwinekoré is quite smaller, although still a respectable city. It is called "City of the Pact", because it is the seat of the "council" which gather the representatives of all the eleven free cities. It is by no mean a central government though, more like a defensive league. The eleven cities are usually able to coalesce against external enemy, but besides that are independent and even prone to make war on one another. All the same, the council can occasionally serve as a relevant forum of discussion even in internal matters, and its presence brings luster and money to an otherwise relatively minor city. In fact, Gwinekoré was chosen as the seat of the council because of its being relatively un-threatening to the other cities, in addition to its position, central and on an island (therefore not easy to attack from the land).

Unless I get unbearably bored I plan to do all the eleven cities in the same style.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gwinekore.png 
Views:	254 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	45766

It's a very nice style so I look forward to seeing this and your future cities finished.

If they are all in the same style and you plan to map them all, you could perhaps compile them into a PDF with the associated information. A sort of Atlas of the Free Cities or some such.

Guild Adept

That was indeed my initial idea. It will depend on time available, and on my capacity of doing some minimal related artwork (unfortunately, I am totally impaired at drawing).

Yay! A new city, that's so awesome! I so hope that you will finish your project and map all Free Cities. Can't wait for the future ones already.

Guild Adept

I am trying to do reliefs... but it does not sit too well with this style. Also, I still don't have a good way of doing woods. If any PS savant has suggestions on how to do both things (with textures or something, not with my non-existent drawing abilities) those would be very much welcome.

As for finishing the whole project, if I ever get there, it would be roughly one year at the current pace... so it is going to be a long wait even in the best case.

Name:	Gwinekore.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	45859

Quote Originally Posted by feanaaro View Post
    I am trying to do reliefs... but it does not sit too well with this style. Also, I still don't have a good way of doing woods. If any PS savant has suggestions on how to do both things (with textures or something, not with my non-existent drawing abilities) those would be very much welcome.
    First, well done.

Second, about woods ... (Caveat: I am no PS savant)
    What about a 'cloud-like' line to mark the edge of the woods and, perhaps, a stipple pattern to suggest the tree tops.
    Frank Lloyd Wright had some success with a similar technique involving drawn edges and shaded woods ...

Name:	frank_lloyd_wright_1933-34_willey_house.gif 
Views:	152 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	46263
    [Just to state the obvious, all work by FLW is copyrighted by someone other than me and is used here for illustrative purposes only.]

I love the style here. I look forward to seeing all of these when your'e done.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

I do love these maps and the colours you use really fir the styles. grat work... heres hoping you get the others done too. they woul make a great set of prints too btw
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 06-21-2012 at 04:13 AM.

As for finishing the whole project, if I ever get there, it would be roughly one year at the current pace... so it is going to be a long wait even in the best case.
    I will wait patiently. It's worth it.

Guild Adept

I would be content in mimicking some of the "stylized-tree-tops" patterns seen in many hand-drawn fantasy maps, but I am so unskilled at drawing (and so lacking of a tablet+pen) as to be unable to reproduce anything close to.
    Reliefs are more difficult with this style, the usual bevel and emboss does not work well with B/W, while lines, as suggested in the Eryemiré thread, get confused with the other elements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast