Thread: June 2012 Entry: The Shores of Limbo

Default June 2012 Entry: The Shores of Limbo

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Where-the-Winds-of-Limbo-Roar.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	919.6 KB 
ID:	45790

Hte Anld of het Spychci Rwsa as ni eht Ulbe Oeystr Cult onsg, depitced no eht oshers of Limbo.

The land of the ... ... in the Ubel ... Cult song, depicted on the shores of Limbo.

It reminds me of Japanese cartoons.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Where-the-Winds-of-Limbo-Roar2.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	45796

Well, thank you Fury ... that is partly the aesthetic I'm going for with the Vertical labels ... Anyway, this map is inspired by the rather epic, if a bit cheesy, Blue Öyster Cult song, Veteran of the Psychic Wars and the lyrics furnished all the place names. Also, the ground texture is a rust short of mine, while the terrains is ... playing around with embossing blend modes and masks. Fun fun in the sun.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Where-the-Winds-of-Limbo-Roar3.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	45800

Now, I can't decide if I want to go with a nice image (above), or a grunged one (as below).

Name:	Where-the-Winds-of-Limbo-Roar-grunged.jpg 
Views:	696 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	45801

Do you guys think the map might also need a legend and some background story? I actually get the weird idea that this might even be fun to play for a survival-horror fantasy rpg ... hmm. I should actually try that once - DM a game that really has no escape, where the players are literally slated to die from day one. Or maybe only one can survive of the group ...

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

very interesting. i like the colour and more prominent texture in the 'clean' version though the grungy is one is more characterful. perhaps a cross between the 2?

more info on how you made the texture would be very welcome, that looks great

Hmm, which texture do you have in mind? The tortured terrain on the "land" area? That's done with a plain white layer in PS set to emboss blending options and then carved and chiselled with a layer mask. I used different brushes, from plain round to some texture, dry media and others. Another option would be to just set the whole layer mask to 50% grey first, then lower terrain with darker brushes and raise it with lighter ones.

The black "limbo" areas are one layer higher up, basically just a b/w layer set to multiply and painted with variable opacity round brushes.

As for the grunge - it's a sepia tone hue adjustment layer, a grunge border layer manipulated for more sharpness and on top a dusty screen layer.

Looks Cool . I prefer the Grunge color scheme myself but maybe some small tint of the former. I love that song!
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

I too prefer the grunged version. I'm envious at how quickly you were able to complete this! It looks really good.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Very clever! The style is a lot of fun.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Where-the-Winds-of-Limbo-Roar_grunge-and-text-150dpi.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	971.8 KB 
ID:	45845

Here it is, pretty much finished. I've added a bit of background and detail, so it should* be enough for any experienced DM to run a bit of gaming with this ... or at least give a few ideas of what and how to deal with it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast