Thread: Commission request: fictional planet map, oceans + archipelagoes, sci-fi style

Default Commission request: fictional planet map, oceans + archipelagoes, sci-fi style

Commission request.

Dear Cartographers,

I am looking for a high-resolution, physical map depicting an Earth-like planet with roughly 80% of its surface covered by saltwater oceans. I imagine the land masses of the said world to form scattered archipelagoes of small to large islands, with maybe a few islands massive enough to be considered very small continents. The planet itself would be roughly 1.2 x the size of Earth, and highly volcanic.

I would like this project to be done in a high-tech, science fiction aesthetic. I think Mollweide projection would be appropriate for it, but I'm open to suggestions. Ideally, I'd be looking for a resolution that would allow to zoom in and crop out maps of separate regions/archipelagoes.

I am nowhere in a hurry with this commission, so the Cartographer kind enough to accept it would have as much time as they needed. I am happy to discuss commission fees here or over email (my address is: paweldaruk@gmail.com). I understand the standard fee is around $100.

Many thanks in advance for your time and any and all offers.
    Cheers,

Pawel
    Last edited by paweldaruk; 06-18-2012 at 01:47 AM.

Guild Journeyer

It would be helpful if you described in more detail the information you want on your map: elevation, biomes, cities, currents, labels, whatever.

"I understand the standard fee is around $100. "
    I don't think there is a standard for a job as variable as a map. It depends entirely on how big/complicated your desired map is, and the level of quality it is produced at. $100 is nearer the low end.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwbjerk View Post
    It would be helpful if you described in more detail the information you want on your map: elevation, biomes, cities, currents, labels, whatever.

"I understand the standard fee is around $100. "
    I don't think there is a standard for a job as variable as a map. It depends entirely on how big/complicated your desired map is, and the level of quality it is produced at. $100 is nearer the low end.
    Seconded.
    More info would indeed be useful. Especially which style is requested.

Payment depends usually on the detail level/size/style of a map.

First, thank you very much for posting your request and I look forward to one of us helping you out.

You might want to check out this post regarding typical details needed for a commission as it will help us determine if it's a project we can tackle for you. There is a kind of template in that thread designed to help in this area.

Regarding money, yes it can fluctuate but if 100.00 dollars is what you have to work with then that's useful information as well. I'm sure like me, there are several of us here who are interested, hopefully, with a few more details we can determine if it's something we can take on.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Hey, thanks very much for all the replies, folks!
    I'll do my best to answer the questions thoroughly...

$100 is just an amount I've seen on a few threads, when I was going through the Mapmaking Requests forum. I'm more than happy to discuss the actual commission fee with whoever would be interested in helping me with this.

I am completely uneducated in the field of mapmaking, so I can only guess what can be done and what cannot be done with a map of such scale. I know for sure that I would like to have elevation shown on it, both above and beyond sea level. Ocean currents or biomes I would definitely not need.
    Major settlements, on the other hand, I would require - so I imagine city icons (two or perhaps three types - if possible) and labels with city names appear on the map in one form or the other. Island names and ocean names would surely find their way onto the map, too.

I also imagine we'd need meridians and parallels on the map as well as some form of scale indication.

Following the guidelines listed in the readme post of this forum (many thanks for the link!), I should say that as far as copyrights are concerned, I will hopefully one day attempt to publish a novel(s) or an RPG book(s) containing this map - and when/if this happens, I'll be more than happy to credit the Cartographer who created it. Chances are, however, that the map will only be used in my small (less than a dozen) RPGaming circle of friends, for non-commercial purposes.

As for the quality, I'd like to be able to print this map in A1 format.
    And as for style... I think I've found something that shows what I have in mind in terms of land mass / mountain range / bodies of water presentation. http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...6&d=1332772878 However, please bear in mind this is only a suggestion. I imagine (almost) any kind of map would look convincingly futuristic if the font used in it or other graphical elements had a hi-tech, sci-fi feel.

Many thanks for your attention and time, folks!
    Hope you're having a nice weekend.

Cheers,
    Pawel

Dear All,

Thank you very much for your interest. This project has now been taken.
    Best regards,

Pawel