Thread: [Award Winner] Winterscape Tutorial using Xara

Tutorial [Award Winner] Winterscape Tutorial using Xara

I decided it was about time I created a tutorial of my map making techniques using Xara Xtreme 4.0

SteelRat, the operator of RPGMapShare.com and a regular contributor at MapTool forums, asked if I could create a tutorial on how I created those winterscape or Mountaintop VT maps using Xara Xtreme.

Rather than trying to create the tutorial directly in this thread, I thought it was easier for me, to create a PDF download of the tutorial. So we have a 9 page tutorial with step by step maps.

Because I believe most user's of this tutorial are unfamiliar with Xara Xtreme 4.0 I took special efforts to point to where each tool is located as well as submenus and add-on features. Better to provide to much information, than not enough, IMO.

Note Xara Xtreme is not a map making application, its really a vector drawing application similar to CorelDraw, Adobe Illustrator or Serif DrawPlus. (It is a unique application in that it is the only hybrid raster/vector app I am aware of).

It is not Open Source and certainly not free, however, there is a 14 day free trial download available, link in the tutorial to this trial (completely functional no restrictions except the 14 days.) If you consider purchasing Xara Xtreme 4.0 it costs $89 as a shipped CD with manual.

Without further adieu...

Looks like the links don't work in the PDF, I'll fix it and upload again, until then here is an alternate link to the download...

You will still need to get the textures from cgtextures.com

Xara Xtremem 4.0 Free Trial Download
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails winterscape-tutorial.pdf  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 06-10-2008 at 02:29 AM. Reason: added link to download
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Post I'm planning a few more tut's with Xara

I plan to create several more tutorials with Xara Xtreme including - that winter creek map, perhaps a hand-drawn map composited in Xara, and an example of my continent styled map... over the next week or two!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Thanks a million to posting this GP! It's amazing how similar Xara and Drawplus are in appearance and functionality - I found out earlier this year that the Drawplus dev team were all ex-Xara, so I guess it's hardly surprising! Lots of tips I can take away from this into Drawplus.

Question What would you want to learn?

What kind of tutorial would you like me to create? Offer a suggestion, I'll see what I can do.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Well, as I see it, you and I are the only people here who use Xara / Drawplus. The biggest tip you gave me in your tutorial (which just had not occurred to me) was to use the gradient transparency on top of a bitmap picture to accentuate shadows. I'd always used it on top of vectors, but it just never occurred to me that you could use it on top of rasters as well.

Software Dev/Rep

Note that there is a linux version that is free