Thread: Tips for GIMP Tablet Users

Info Tips for GIMP Tablet Users

Only one to start, but it is a big one...

1) Use the Ink Tool for drawing.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Yep. You've got me. This was a great tip. Whilst we're on it. What do the angle and tilt sliders do?

The angle sets the nib angle (if your tablet doesn't report pen angle). The tilt slider adjusts the tilt (angle of pen to tablet) sensitivity for changing the nib shape/aspect ratio (again, only if the tablet supports it).

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Mystery solved - the Graphire4 doesn't have tilt sensitivity. Thanks again for the tips.

Ok, dumb question. Is my Wacom Bamboo Fun not set up right or is there something I am missing. When I go into GIMP to configure, this is what I see and I have no idea what the numbers mean in each axis and while I know what axis means in general, I am not 100% sure of the context here...

Of course, the GIMP docs are rather sparse on this account, so they are no help...

BTW, the tablet actually works to make pressure sensitive lines and stuff, I am just wondering if I am missing out on some configuration that would save me time in terms of not having to go to certain menus, tools, etc.
    Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wacom.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	4155  
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Ok, dumb question. Is my Wacom Bamboo Fun not set up right or is there something I am missing. When I go into GIMP to configure, this is what I see and I have no idea what the numbers mean in each axis and while I know what axis means in general, I am not 100% sure of the context here...

Of course, the GIMP docs are rather sparse on this account, so they are no help...

BTW, the tablet actually works to make pressure sensitive lines and stuff, I am just wondering if I am missing out on some configuration that would save me time in terms of not having to go to certain menus, tools, etc.
    Joe
    Bump? Anyone?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Look over at GimpTalk (if the site comes back) and search there for bamboo.

I believe I read about some configuration. Personally, I have a Graphire, which works well with gimp, but has no programmable buttons

-Rob A>