Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calling all City Mappers

Would it jar, if they were two distinct maps here or on the wiki which would not be held up against each other by the viewer? I can understand that if you using a product like Redrobes' Viewingadale which allows you to see both maps against each other in the same space, it would be jarring to see two very distinct styles. I'm interested becasue if we are looking for stylistic matching, shouldn't we have done it for the region?

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

I think it would jar if you were to combine the two together to make one.

Using our various region maps as an example. When combined together as Redrobes did, they jar if you view them as a whole. If, however, you look at a master index as you yourself first made for the LandGrab, and I say: "hmm, I want to look at region 6 (my region), then I am viewing all of Region 6 at once, separate from the other regions. If I then decide to look at region 7 (redRobes' Thrubmorton Fens area), it doesn;t matter if the map style is different as I am viewing it different from Area 6. BUT, put the two together side by side and view them at once and now suddenly it is difficult.

Hence, if I were to map out for inclussion into your map of the town of Kwourin using my distinct city mapiing style it would not mesh, and would need to be redone to have it look right.

See the example ofr Kwourin with a section from Deestan superimposed. Looks weird, and you would need to rework it for it to 'fit in' and seem to be a part of the whole.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Newcity.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	3359  
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Neon -

I never imagined you would "embed" another map like that.

I kind of envisioned that someone would pick detail and "blow it up"...

Say I wanted to do the castle in that town...I'd crop it, rotate it, and then start mapping it...

But not replacing the castle in your town in the map tou already drew...

-Rob A>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2008-04-29_134716.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	3362  

Rob;

That is well and good, and different, and what my original point was.

If someone wanted to map a 'close-up' of a section of the city, that is fine, and the style of the two do not need to mesh.

My point was:

You Map the Eastern Quarter, I'll map the Western Quarter, and Torq will map the other two quarters.

Once put together, the map will no not look good.

But if you wanted to map Silk Street of the Merchant's Quarter from a larger map, that is different as it will not be imbedded into the whole.

I hope I am making sense.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Sorry, I was being unclear - I meant the same as Daniel. But I do not think there is any need for anything formal, just an agreement between the people who are concerned with the project. I get the impression that cities might be enormously time consuming beasts and I was thinking of ways in which groups of people could map one city in order to make the process less daunting. I definitely think that individual maps should be 'convention free.

Thinking about it, perhaps the best way is to get a test group of individuals to map a city, see what issues arise and then talk about it more? I dunno, perhaps it's all academic as people might just want to map cities by themselves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12