Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all City Mappers

Post Calling all City Mappers

In the interests of getting some cross pollenisation going I'm putting out a shout for anyone who would like to map the city of Arkender in Groam. Its a big city but would be an interesting mapping cllange I think, largely becasue its a sprawling slum that extends right up to the water on a few sides.

Dont think you need to have mapped a region for this. Anyone is welcome.

At the same time is there anyone who needs a specific city mapped in the region they have done? I'm on a city mapping buzz at the moment and would love to do another one when I've finished Kwourin (which should be this week).

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

I think that city maps (which are very time consuming and require a lot of detail) themselves should be broken down, but we need a 'style sheet' for each city so the maps remain consistent. Let me ruminate and come back to you, Torq.

Post Calishem, eventually...

Looks like I'll be needing Calishem mapped, but we're talking a city of 850,000 plus people - I'll probably be giving some direction on this, if not mapping it completely myself.

I think I'll first map Darkovia as its much smaller yet, still an interesting place. Then I'll get to work on Calishem. But if anyone else is interested in working on this urban sprawl - volunteers are welcome!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I'm not sure about needing a stylesheet... What should any two cities have similar map styles (unless you are talking about making and atlas).

On this note, If someone has a location for a canal city (search WIPs for canal), I'll finish it up to fit the details of such a location... (on a river delta with a sea port and river port).

-Rob A>

I think by Style Sheet (Using my City of Deestan as an Example) the stylesheet for that city would be close crowed buildings, with tight streets and lots of thoroughfares. Compare to the city of Koppolex. Should multiple mappers be involved in mapping one city, the city would need to conform to a singular style otherwise it can look really jarring.

My thoughts.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Hi Rob, pretty much as Neon puts it, having an agreed palette of colours and an agreed way of depicting buildings - e.g. a 3 point black stroke with a 50% gray interior....that kind of thing, it's really so that all the elements in the map are consistent - not sure if style sheet is the right word!

If we do have one, it would have to be a style that is reproduceable across as many applications as possible, e.g. CC, PS, Gimp, Illustrator etc.

Imagine I do a city map by myself. Then Neon wants to map a specific alleyway in that city. Are you saying that he will be bound by a stylistic convention that I have applied even if our maps are on completely different scales? Or are you applying it only to cases where different mappers map areas on the same scale within a larger area? I'm not sure that the idea really works with the theme of stylistic individuality and geogrpahical continuity that we spoke of earlier in the project regarding the area maps. There is no "style sheet" on that level, is there?

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Imagine I do a city map by myself. Then Neon wants to map a specific alleyway in that city. Are you saying that he will be bound by a stylistic convention that I have applied even if our maps are on completely different scales? Or are you applying it only to cases where different mappers map areas on the same scale within a larger area? I'm not sure that the idea really works with the theme of stylistic individuality and geogrpahical continuity that we spoke of earlier in the project regarding the area maps. There is no "style sheet" on that level, is there?

Torq
    No, I personally do not see that.

For example, when I map out my cities, I like them plain and not really photo realistic as it is easier to depict individual buildings and features in a city that way (my thoughts). When I zoom down to an alley, I like the more photo realistic, increased detail. Show me the pile of garbage, the broken crates, the homeless hovel against the wall, the drainage gutter etc.

I think the 'style' should, as you state, remain consistent across the whole at the same scale. Again, using Deestan as an example (because I have yet to finish it), if someone was to be mapping for inclusion one of the outlying burroughs, it would jar if it was done with a pallette and style completely different from the rest.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast