Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fjorheim - Back to mapping again

Guild Member Facebook Connected Elothan's Avatar

Default Fjorheim - Back to mapping again

After taking an almost 2 year long break from mapping due to working on a BA in PR and media, as well as some organizational work, I have finaly dusted of my copy of CC3 and decided to reawaken my old hobby..

First thing I noticed. It was not like riding a bike.. I basically had to re-learn a lot of stuff, but I get that good old feeling of creativity back

Anyhow, the reason of posting this map is partly to "force" myself to follow trough on more maps(as I have plenty of started maps), and get some tips along the way

So please fire away

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fjorheim_v1.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	868.2 KB 
ID:	45828

Here is a more updated map.. quite a lot to work on still, but I thik the coastline kinda works better with these effects.
    Still strugeling with river shapes thou.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fjorheim v2s.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	843.0 KB 
ID:	45852

Looks like a good beginning. You are right about the rivers, I think they should meander more. They look too straight to me. I also do not especially like the mountain range packed with symbols, it seems too thick. It might be because I prefer longer mountain ranges (so don't take it too seriously if you've made it look like this on purpose ^^). If I were you, I would use less symbols perhaps - what you have there is very repetitive. Hope I helped you. I'm glad you reawakened your creativity and got back to mapping. I myself suffer from a lack of time and miss mapping - it's always such fun.

Thanks for the feedback
    Sad to hear about your lack of time
    The mountain range was done like that on purpose to test out the look, and up close it looked decent enough, but zoomed out it does clutter up I feel they are looking a bit to small, so Ill probably redo them. Make them more massive probably.. but then I have to take into account wind direction and such... I should probably roam around the forum looking for some info on that
    Edit: Totally reworked the map style, and cut out all the rivers for now, until I get them right. I am more happy with this style, even if there is quite a lot of work left to do.

Name:	Fjorheim new style.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	289.5 KB 
ID:	45858

What can I say? This style is so awesome that there is little you can screw up while working with it.^^ Your map is looking great already.

Sad to hear about your lack of time
    Thanks for sympathy. My holidays are coming, so hopefully I will get back to mapping real soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyandra View Post
    What can I say? This style is so awesome that there is little you can screw up while working with it.^^ Your map is looking great already.

Thanks for sympathy. My holidays are coming, so hopefully I will get back to mapping real soon.
    Yeah, the style is really good, and to top it off it allows me to focus on learning a natural way to place map elements to get a realistic "flow" in a map without spending to much time on "beatifying things" That way I can get the hang of rivers, mountain chains, wind, etc before I dare enter into raster cartography

Oh, and hoping to see some maps during your holiday I like what i have seen from your style

Guild Adept

Excellent stuff, very cool style.
    Upon the Creation of the World the First Dragons cast their seed in the light of a Sun and a Thousand Suns, beneath the Moon and a Thousand Moons, on a World and a Thousand Worlds.

www.sistercontinents.com

The new style looks great!

Here is the results of a bit more work on the map
    I think I am done tinkering with this for now, since I have some scaling problems that popped up after I snafued something somewhere, but all in all it was a fun exercise to work with
    Still want some more feedback thou,to bring with me to my nex project, or incase I will go back to tinker with this one

Name:	FJORHEim3b.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	45896

Nice progress. The river is meandering nicely this time, though it looks a little too blurry for my taste. Good luck with your next project!

Oh, and hoping to see some maps during your holiday I like what i have seen from your style
    Thanks. I'm looking forward to trying out digital mapping, till now I mostly doodled on paper in my free time, never truly finishing anything.^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast